Yay it's spring!

abq_bob(USDA 5a/SS 2A)March 17, 2006

Actually it's been spring for a bit, as my crocus are already done blooming and my daffs are in full bloom! The sweet peas are already 1-2ft up the trellis, no blooms yet, but if the temps hold, I'll probably get some within a week. The peach tree is has opened a couple buds and should be in full bloom any day now.

I've been doing my spring clean up and looking through seeds that I didn't get planted last year. Can't wait to get some of my old beds revitalized.

Biggest projects for me this year will be re-plumbing my watering systems (drip/soaker/sprinkler), and rejuvenating a "hot bed" (an area directly under a south-facing cinder-block wall).

How are your gardens doing? Any big projects for this growing season?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
the_farmers_wife(zone 5 Montana)

Hey bob. I'm south of the East Mountains and I have mound veggies growing in jiffy pots in the living room. DH is finishing our garden fence this weekend. We have company next week, and we may enlist them to help plant row crops. Per your observation that Apr 1 is average last frost, (and given how things are going) I think the timing should work out nicely! Our peach tree is also budding, but we have no pollinators out yet, so we aren't sure what will happen!

Today we assembled a swing set for the kids, and I plan to (finally) prune my roses tomorrow! Hooray!

cheers!

Bookmark   March 17, 2006 at 10:43PM
frdnicholas(Albuquerque NM)

My plum and cherry trees have blossom on them. My pears and nectarines are going to burst open any day now. I have 1 week of school left before spring break and I can't wait to be home taking care of the garden beds and playing some mandolin. Spring can't be too far off!

Bookmark   March 17, 2006 at 10:50PM
aklinda

I'm new to this area (Bosque Farms) from Alaska and am learning all sorts of new things about gardening in the desert. I have winter sowed a whole bunch of drought tolerant perennials and have added 10 roses to the 6 that were already on this lot when I got it. I have purchased 3 evergreen and 1 oak tree that need to be planted. My daffodils that I planted earlier this year are in bloom. I have a basically bare lot so it is a blank slate. And I planted some ornamental grasses today before the wind kicked up. Sunday the established roses get a haircut. Pruning roses will be a first for me. I saw on the weather report from my former home in Alaska that it was 9 below zero there today.

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 1:34AM
More Discussions
Animal eating lemon peels
Hi, I just found this forum and want to know what animal...
hammerhugger
the African daizies look great after all that rain last fall
This is the first year there has been something in...
sculptress
when to start
Hi, When are folks starting some seeds indoors? What...
rvsunn
Want to replace lawn with xeriscape, need advice
Hi All, I posted something similar in lawn care but...
andrewm2211
My Ocotillo now has a bloom!
So excited -- after one whole year of looking like...
violetwest
Sponsored Products
Furniture of America Carlisle Fabric Loveseat - Pewter - IDF-5042-LV
Hayneedle
Olde Bronze Flush Mount 2-Light
PLFixtures
Buckley Credenza - Medium Medium
Joybird Furniture
Clear Finish Three Glass Bottles On Tray Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Natural Wood Swiss Cheese Board
$22.99 | zulily