Identify these seed pods?

Alyssa DeRonneMarch 5, 2012

Can anyone identify what kind of tree makes these seed pods? I picked them up on campus, and I don't have a picture of the tree, but here is a picture of the pods.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabaceae_native

Obviously a legume family member, but it's almost impossible without a little more info about the tree (size, leaf form, flowers, etc...)

They look a bit like pods from a mimosa tree, Albizia julibrissin, or some palo verde, but in your neck of the woods there are so many possibilities. Velvet mesquite pods are not as wide, nor as swollen around the seed, and a few other leguminous trees that come to mind have either much larger or smaller ones.

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 2:15PM
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

Look like mesquite beans to me. Color is right, the seeds appear to be very tight in the shell, and the size seems appropriate.

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 1:19AM
fabaceae_native

You're probably right nmgirl, seeing as you live in an area with mesquite.

But to me, they still look too wide and flattened, too swollen around the seeds, and not long enough to be mesquite. I just pulled out my stash of dried mesquite pods which average about 1/4 inch wide and nearly as thick, by 3 or 4 inches long, with 20 or so seeds very close together. This pic shows differently, with only about 7 seeds per pod. You're absolutely right that the color is correct, though, and I'm sure there could be a great deal of variation from tree to tree (although in my experience velvet mesquite in AZ has even longer pods)...
We'd know for sure in yayanator sent a pic of the trees themselves (in leaf).

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 10:22AM
Alyssa DeRonne

I don't believe they are mesquite. I collected them in my plant biology class, and my teacher couldn't remember the name of the tree. He did say it wasn't mesquite. They also are not from a palo verde because I know what a palo verde is, and this tree wasn't one. I looked at pics of the Albizia julibrissin seed pods you mention, and I don't believe that is it either. I will try to take a picture of the tree next time I am at school.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 1:04PM
ljjmfour(9)

If you picked these seeds up on the University of Arizona Campus in Tucson, Arizona, they keep a database of their many plants that have been plated there from around the world. They even have a carob tree there!

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 4:03PM
More Discussions
Little white worms in my compost
These little guys are spread throughout my organic...
SweetShef
Anyone grow star anise from seed?
We were given some star anise with seeds inside each...
frdnicholas
1/3 acre on slope elevation 3400
Hi there, We have around 1/3 of an acre with a slight...
ltews
My Ocotillo now has a bloom!
So excited -- after one whole year of looking like...
violetwest
Roses for a small space that can take the heat, zone 7b
Any suggestions? We have room for a couple of new roses, in...
Theresa McHarney
Sponsored Products
Monogrammed Leather Luggage Tags and Passport Holder
$125.00 | FRONTGATE
Progress Lighting P8721-8909 Outside Polarity L Connector
Progress Lighting
Virgins Double Wall Sconce by Terzani
$1,510.00 | Lumens
27th Street Flushmount by Philips Forecast Lighting
$98.00 | Lumens
Oakview Estate Address Plaque
$235.00 | FRONTGATE