Potato success stories?

gardener_sandyMarch 16, 2009

It's time to plant potatoes here and I have a small space I can use for them but I've been reading the forums on home grown potatoes and haven't seen a lot of people talk about having good success with them in containers or square foot gardens. Have I missed the success stories or is it not a great thing for this type of gardening? I've grown them in field type gardens before with moderate amounts to harvest but we're in a clay belt and I'd like to try them in the SF garden or containers. I see predictions for great harvests but not many real life stories that bear that out.

So, if you had a good harvest in small space gardening, what did you do? What soil mix did you use? Fertilizer? Watering? Hilling or high-rise squares or mulch? Details please!

Sandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snibb(Salt Lake City)

My experience with potatoes has been very good. I get 35-40 pound of potatoes in a 4X2 section of box. But, my soil is the old stuff-double dug, so I have about 18" of the good soil to grow in. I alternate boxes every year, and I grow only red potatoes. I start them early and I harvest them late, so, they are big potatoes. Some say they get startchy if that big, but, that is not my experience. I also plant 5 to a square...I have done this for 9 years now and it works great for us...

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 1:55PM
gardener_sandy

Now that's what I call a success story! Thanks for sharing. My SF beds are on very rich, deep soil that I've worked with for several years. I think I'll give it a try with a couple of squares at least to see what happens. I love fresh from the garden potatoes so I've been anxious to grow them again.

Sandy

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 8:39PM
sinfonian(U8b A2 S5 SeaWA)

I did tons wrong with my potato bins last year and got 25 pounds of potatoes from 1 pound of seed. This year I'm shooting for 50+ pounds from my 2x2 bin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 10:28PM
More Discussions
Raised kidney shaped garden
I have a kidney shaped raised garden that I have planted...
charlieboring
Using Miracle Gro Potting Mix in a Square Foot Bed
Turns out that courtesy of Costco, I can fill my bed...
GardeningHeidi
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
Garlic crop rotating?
I started a bed 4'x6' last full of garlic. I was a...
disneynut1977
Skinny yam harvest
Hi everyone, If anyone can share some wisdom about...
ashita
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™