Potato success stories?

gardener_sandyMarch 16, 2009

It's time to plant potatoes here and I have a small space I can use for them but I've been reading the forums on home grown potatoes and haven't seen a lot of people talk about having good success with them in containers or square foot gardens. Have I missed the success stories or is it not a great thing for this type of gardening? I've grown them in field type gardens before with moderate amounts to harvest but we're in a clay belt and I'd like to try them in the SF garden or containers. I see predictions for great harvests but not many real life stories that bear that out.

So, if you had a good harvest in small space gardening, what did you do? What soil mix did you use? Fertilizer? Watering? Hilling or high-rise squares or mulch? Details please!

Sandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snibb(Salt Lake City)

My experience with potatoes has been very good. I get 35-40 pound of potatoes in a 4X2 section of box. But, my soil is the old stuff-double dug, so I have about 18" of the good soil to grow in. I alternate boxes every year, and I grow only red potatoes. I start them early and I harvest them late, so, they are big potatoes. Some say they get startchy if that big, but, that is not my experience. I also plant 5 to a square...I have done this for 9 years now and it works great for us...

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 1:55PM
gardener_sandy

Now that's what I call a success story! Thanks for sharing. My SF beds are on very rich, deep soil that I've worked with for several years. I think I'll give it a try with a couple of squares at least to see what happens. I love fresh from the garden potatoes so I've been anxious to grow them again.

Sandy

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 8:39PM
sinfonian(U8b A2 S5 SeaWA)

I did tons wrong with my potato bins last year and got 25 pounds of potatoes from 1 pound of seed. This year I'm shooting for 50+ pounds from my 2x2 bin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 10:28PM
More Discussions
Bush bean spacing
I was reading in the Sq. foot gardening book that the...
israelithyme
Onion spacing- 16/sq ft vs. Dixondale recommendation
Dixondale farms suggests 4" between onions, and...
mmqchdygg
Filling my raised bed
Ok, I'm new to gardening but am planning on constructing...
Matt Cauwels
Vining plants and selection for beginner.
So glad to have found this resource! I am starting...
GreenFox
Mighty Matos / Mighty Veggies and SFG
Does anyone here have experience with SFG and Mighty...
tafountain
Sponsored Products
BonJour Chef's Tools Grey Creme Brulee Torch
Overstock.com
Farberware Classic 18-piece Never Needs Sharpening Cutlery Set
Overstock.com
Eco 74 Gallon Recycled Plastic Compost Bin - 625001
$199.99 | Hayneedle
Denby Heather Serving Bowl - Medium - HEA-199
$126.00 | Hayneedle
Rosle Grill Basket
$36.00 | FRONTGATE