Roses in Albuquerque area - pruning

aklindaMarch 11, 2006

I inherited some very large rose bushes on the property I just moved to. One of them has a trunk nearly as big around as my leg. Another of them I didn't even realize was a rose until a neighbor told me - it is well over my head and has an almost weeping habit. They all seem to be pretty healthy and well established. Is now the correct time to prune in Bosque Farms? What about the large bush with the weeping habit - I like the way it looks now. Some of the branches are nearly arched to the ground. Any info is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ABQ_Bob(USDA 5a/SS 2A)

I've only got two "regular" rose bushes, so I'm no expert. But I just pruned mine back a couple days ago - there was no new growth on them yet, so I think they'll be fine.

--Bob

Bookmark   March 16, 2006 at 5:26PM
the_farmers_wife(zone 5 Montana)

You don't have any growth on them? Not even those litte red "buds" or whatever they're called? I thought it might be warmer where you are, but here in Mountainair, my roses have those buds. I pruned them a few days ago (just dead-heading and removing dead canes), so it's definately time, linda. I also my first roses when we moved here last year, so I'm learning too. I'd think of your roses as "your" roses, so do what you want with them! I had to move one of the rose bushes, and I swear every old lady in time drove by. I was positive one would stop and say it was her rose bush!

good luck!

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 4:25PM
frdnicholas(Albuquerque NM)

My roses have lots of new growth on them. Is it okay to prune off the dead branches?

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 10:08PM
the_farmers_wife(zone 5 Montana)

Well, I did, but I'm no where near an expert. They seem fine a few days later. I'd check the roses forum - they're really helpful with that sort of stuff!

good luck!

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 9:27AM
aklinda

There's lots of new growth on all of the established roses. I have also planted 6 bareroot climbers in pots and 4 other roses in the ground - it's probably been a month since I planted them. They are starting to get a few buds so I'm hoping they've been forming roots for the last month or so. All my winter-sowed plants are going gangbusters too. The roses are getting pruned this weekend.

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 2:01AM
lilacplc_earthlink_net

Farmers Wife,
I had to tell you how happy I was to find your post stating that Mountainair is in zone 6. I just purchased property down the road from you, near the base of the Manzano Mountains and am trying to learn all about what will grow in the area before I move there from Florida in the next 3 years. What other plants do you have in your garden or yard and have you had any problems with the recent drought?
I have so many questions about the area.
Do you consider the area high desert?
Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me,
Laura
lilacplc@earthlink.net

Bookmark   June 6, 2006 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
large cactus and yuccas hardy in Idaho
I just planted 25 Yucca faxoniana that are 15' tall...
matsukaze
Anyone out there have a joshua tree?
I have been trying to find some information on joshua...
kazooie
If anyone's growing Black Sapote, Tejocote, or Copao...
I am interested in seeds or small rooted cuttings. I...
ansarac
Anyone had those low litter trees near swimming pool?
I am looking for a evergreen tree to plant near a swimming...
monkeyta123
Red rock used for desert landscaping, how hot??
I live in an HOA with lovely natural desert dirt and...
casseybug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™