Runoff from air conditioner for irrigation?

ltecato(9)March 10, 2008

If you live in a hot and humid climate, you know that a lot of water condenses in your AC and then usually drains through a plastic or metal pipe to some point just outside the house.

When I lived in Texas I was able to collect or redirect some of this for my garden, but my system was as crude as it gets: I'd put a container under the drain or use a short section of old garden hose to water a flower bed about five feet away.

On a hot day when the AC was working really hard, water would come out at about the rate of a gallon per hour, if I recall correctly.

I try to keep up on water-saving trends, but I have never heard of anyone beside myself trying to set up a system to use AC runoff for irrigation. It seems to me that this could be a big help in some areas, not just for homes but for big office buildings, malls, etc.

Has anyone heard of anything like this being implemented? I can't possibly be the first one to think of the idea.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltecato(9)

Thanks for the response, Bullthistle. Yes the garden hose approach was pretty ugly. But I think if a house was custom-designed or retrofitted for this, it wouldn't be too unsightly. Admittedly, I've never done any construction or engineering, but it seems like there should be some way to maybe direct this water into a buried irrigation system, assuming the AC will produce enough runoff to make it worth the trouble. I'll try posting to the drought forum. Thanks again.

Bookmark   March 11, 2008 at 6:39PM
Resident-Reviewer

Great idea!

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 4:15AM
scotjute

This is an idea that should be implemented but is not used much at all.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 12:23PM
More Discussions
plant ID
Hi, A friend of mine is trying to identify the plant...
alexander3_gw
rugosa rosas in Santa Fe, NM??
Want to grow low growing but spreading roses in my...
PvBme
Creosote near Isleta/Albuquerque
Just thought I'd throw this out there. Recently I drove...
cactus_dude
Can you identify this worm thing?
Cross posting, to reach as many as possible who might...
ernie85017, zn 9, phx
Anyone out there have a joshua tree?
I have been trying to find some information on joshua...
kazooie
Sponsored Products
Polaris 20 Ga: Sink 2 Standard Strainers
PLFixtures
Algreen Athena Rain Barrel - 86311
$199.99 | Hayneedle
American Outdoor Grill 33917-SR Single Access Door - Right Hinge - 33917-SR
$250.75 | Hayneedle
Fire Magic 43820-TSL Single Access Door with Tank Tray - 20 x 14 - Left Hinge Mu
$341.70 | Hayneedle
American Outdoor Grill 33820-TSL Single Access Door with Tank Tray - 20 x 14 Mul
$295.80 | Hayneedle
Algreen EcoCascata Rain Barrel - 81315
$169.99 | Hayneedle
American Outdoor Grill 33917-SL Single Access Door - Left Hinge - 33917-SL
$250.75 | Hayneedle
Fire Magic/American Outdoor Grill 33930S-12T Double Access Door with Double Draw
$864.45 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™