Banana Peppers don't look right..

ericj12September 22, 2010

so, I'm growing this banana pepper plant and the peppers just look weird..they almost have a grey-like surface on some parts..and it happens to all of them. I don't know what it is, and have tried to look online. anyone have this problem or know of it? the name? a solution? if its even a problem to begin with? it looks almost red in the picture, but its more of a grey-brown/light-grey.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dwf1(8)

A little sun scald, nothing to worry about it's fairly common with chilies. If you leave them on longer they will turn bright red and become sweeter.

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 12:13PM
ericj12

but when i search on google, it says it can cause rot...should i just put them in an area with less sun or something?

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 2:34PM
dwf1(8)

I grow a lot of chilies and never had one to rot due to the discolor I see in your image. Chilies like full sun and fall is when I have the best yield.

This is from last fall; if you look close you can see the same discoloration on my Hot Hungarian Wax in the bottom right corner. I usually let them turn red but I had to harvest them before a hard freeze, you can see some of them are orange and starting to changing. Also note the date stamp, it was December.

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 11:29AM
ericj12

WOAH! nice job to begin with.. you must have spent a fortune in buying soil and what not. but yeah, thanks for the info..google was just a bit misleading cause typing in "sun scald peppers" you'd think the apocalypse just happened. thanks again.

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 11:35AM
dwf1(8)

Maybe scald is a bit harsh; sun exposure would be a better term. Actually it's the time not the cost. Organic gardening does not have to be expensive to yield results. I posted that image and others last fall the link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Show Your Last Chili and/or Tomato Harvest of 2009

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
Price of Long Needle Pine Straw in Your Area?
Last week we had our annual pine straw mulch refresh....
kswl2
privacy screen HELP!
My lovely country/cottage garden style yard and porch...
inbloominalabama
Myrtle won't bloom
I have a couple of crape myrtles in my yard that won't...
gregnga
Sugar Cane
Is there a preferred time of year in planting it? What,...
greenepastures
Beautiful Ideas for Oak Savanna
Anyone have any ideas of things to add to an Oak Savanna...
Savannagirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™