Bush beans per person?

joe51March 15, 2010

I am going to try some bush beans this year and need to know how many to plant per person on average. I am just returning to sfg after many years of the "other" way and have lost my notes. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daylilyfanatic4(Zone 6 SE NY)

I would plant 10 plants per person every month from the date the soil is warm till 2 months before frost. You might want to split the plantings and plant 5 every 2 weeks for a ongoing harvest.

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 2:49PM
Dan Staley

Daylily's house must be one full of bean lovers! We don't like them that much and our house of 3 1/2 will do 4/person starting very soon, then 2 more/person in succession. We can ~1/2 and use later, so we might not be typical & like edamame at least as well.

Dan

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 3:51PM
jengc(7)

So after a month you pull them up and do it all over again?

Bookmark   March 16, 2010 at 3:20PM
Dan Staley

After they're exhausted you cut them off at ground level and throw the tops into the compost pile. Hopefully they have N-fixing nodules on their roots by then and you want those in the soil.

Dan

Bookmark   March 16, 2010 at 7:59PM
greenbean08_gw(PNW)

jengc, it takes longer than a month for them to produce & finish. If you plant monthly, you'll get a longer harvest as bush beans produce for a few weeks then are done.

I usually slightly stagger plantings but I like that the bush beans produce the bulk of the crop in a shorter time as I like to freeze them. I'd rather pick a whole bunch & freeze than have to save them up until I have enough to process. I plant quite a lot of beans, they're probably the reason I ever planted a garden in the first place.

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 2:03AM
Dan Staley

I planted out the first early peas yesterday, leaving a little room on that short trellis to plant more in two weeks to stagger that crop. I'll do another spot in a week or so and stagger that short trellis as well. Beans we'll start closer to Mother's Day depending on El Niño.

Dan

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 10:10AM
bsntech(5b)

Bush beans can produce a good amount over the season. Out of about 100 bush bean plants, we harvested almost 56 pounds of green beans. We have at least a dozen gallon-sized freezer bags full of beans and still have some left that are slowly being used. Probably will have enough until we start getting more in the late spring/early summer.

Some of our beans produced for several months - not just a few weeks or a month. We used the Bush Blue Lake 274 and Bush Blue Lake 47 varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 4:03PM
More Discussions
What to put in the bottom of 12" high boxes??
Hello all, I am doing my first SFG this year. I live...
Deck Pros
Probably A Dumb Question But
My backyard in AZ is entirely gravel/rocks and pavers....
tascer
My sister broke my corn tassel!
Long story short, I have a few corn plants growing...
Nila Arivoli
Looking for bloggers
I am looking for folk interested in writing about square...
Andrew_Green
Raised kidney shaped garden
I have a kidney shaped raised garden that I have planted...
charlieboring
Sponsored Products
David Trubridge Design | Flax Pendant Light - Natural
YLighting
AF Lighting Ramblin Rose 7050-6H Chandelier - 7050-6H
$238.00 | Hayneedle
Radionic Hi Tech Pendant Lights Orly 1-Light Satin Nickel LED Mini Pendant
Home Depot
Bush Stanford Glass Door Bookcase / Audio Rack - AD53940-03
$245.95 | Hayneedle
The Perfect Shade Protector 16 x 12-ft. Motorized Semi-Cassette Retractable Awni
Hayneedle
Brown Twig Bush Spray
$8.99 | zulily
Hinkley Lighting | Monaco 5 Light Chandelier
$759.00 | YLighting
Radionic Hi Tech Pendant Lights Orly 1-Light Oil Rubbed Bronze LED Mini Pendant
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™