Albuquerque CHEAP native shrubs--help

reyesuela(z7a)March 23, 2005

I need to make $400 for shrubs and $600 for trees stretch as far as I can for *starting* to landscape a community open space. The shrubs we're looking for are mostly native small-scale stuff, 3-6' wide and tall (I have a list, but it's looooong), along with some lilacs and other stuff. (We're in the mts in an extra wet microclime.) It's a BIG space, so even 150 shrubs would be swallowed in a heartbeat. What are some good inexpensive nursuries to go looking--preferably those with one-year warranties? I'm not terribly optimistic about Wal-mart/Lowes/HD having everything.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abqdeb

I would recommend Bernardo Beach Nursery (Judith Phillips place) for the best quality and prices of native and xeric plants. Also try Santa Ana for good selection and good quality with no sales tax (it's on the Indian Res.).

Bookmark   March 24, 2005 at 10:30PM
SteveNMZ8a(Z8a NM)

Plants of the Southwest!! Good selection of natives and more natives....dont know about the warranty tho.

Bookmark   March 25, 2005 at 12:35AM
adp_abq(7b NM)

Plants of the southwest does *not* have warranties. I don't think santa ana does either. That said, I've never bought a dud from either place. I doubt your going to get 150 shrubs for 400 dollars (2.50 each?). Native plants tend to cost more than non-natives.

Bookmark   March 25, 2005 at 11:43AM
reyesuela(z7a)

Thanks! I wasn't actually expecting that--I'm hoping for $4 a shrub, if possible. I just mean that I can use as many as I can get my hands on. *ggg*

Bookmark   March 25, 2005 at 8:09PM
ShelleyinNM(SW NM)

I try to avoid Plants of the SW. Think they're way high.

Buy what you can at Walmart....they'll have some.

Also think that Bernardo Beach has the best prices. Last year $4.97 for 1 gal container. They're not in the new phone book. Anyone been there this spring?

Santa Ana second best for price. You might also talk to the mgr about a donation. They have a giant greenhouse on the pueblo where they sell commercially. I was also able to negotiate a discount when I landscaped a new house. Several years ago, however.

Bookmark   March 26, 2005 at 12:44PM
Moonsinger(7)

Where is Bernardo Beach? I see it sponsoring garden shows on PBS and I assumed it was in Southern NM. Is it in Albq?

Bookmark   May 6, 2005 at 11:46AM
lksmith(SWUSA)

I just visited the Bernardo Beach location on Arno St. Don't be fooled, the plants are in the backyard of a small house. The man I talked to was helpful, and the price right!

Bookmark   May 17, 2005 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
Roses for a small space that can take the heat, zone 7b
Any suggestions? We have room for a couple of new roses, in...
Theresa McHarney
Rsidential rock screen
HELP. I have an older home. I live in the high desert...
rodoehoho
Want to replace lawn with xeriscape, need advice
Hi All, I posted something similar in lawn care but...
andrewm2211
West Texas Grape Tomato Hybrids/Varieties?
I moved to the Amarillo area a little over 2 years...
Breeder_Ben
Creosote near Isleta/Albuquerque
Just thought I'd throw this out there. Recently I drove...
cactus_dude
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™