sar of Bethlehem plant

justmejackie(z8TX)September 6, 2005

Has anyone ever heard of this plant...a friend gave it to me and it is a succulent with a really strange flower. The flowers smell very bad and attract flies. It is quite the conversation piece but I am wondering if that is really the name of it? The Star Of Bethlehem? The flower is a large star about 4 inches and is lights colored with red veins. Just curious.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Josh(z8a)

Sounds like a Stapelia. As a new gardener I gladly accepted one as a "gift"... and promptly passed it on to another friend when it bloomed. That poor plant is probably still being passed on to innocent souls today! The bloom is strangely beautiful though.josh

Bookmark   September 10, 2005 at 12:41AM
sweetannie4u(midOK_z6b/7a)

I grow Star of Bethlehem (Ornithogalum umbellatum) -of the lily family.
It is an early summer or late spring flowering bulb. Grows a clump of thin waxy dark green leaves w/ a thin pale green midrib.
It then puts on flowers, after which it dies back. Bulbs reproduce very fast. The flowers are 6 petaled white stars with green stripe on the back side of each petal. Really showy. Very pretty. All parts are said to be toxic, but not known to cause death.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   September 16, 2005 at 2:56AM
serenoa(z8b, FL)

From your description, Josh is right. The common name I know is carrion flower. Like SweetAnnie4u, I know the Orinthogalums as Star of Bethlehem.

Bookmark   September 18, 2005 at 5:47PM
justmejackie(z8TX)

thanks you all...I know mine is the carrion. An interesting and unusual but stinky plant from south Africa. Thanks for helping me figure it out.

Bookmark   September 19, 2005 at 7:21PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I read somewhere there are over a thousand plants known as Star of Bethlehem somewhere (common names tend to be regional.) Yours sounds like Stapelia gigantea; mine is about to bloom. There are a number of stapeliads, all weird and fascinating--and I assume stinky!

Bookmark   September 20, 2005 at 1:16AM
More Discussions
Crepe Myrtle in the ICU
Hi folks, This crepe myrtle came from the builder when...
rwiki
Windbreak, Privacy Screen, City Lot, Wet Feet
Hello - I need some ideas for what to do along the...
Tryska D
New home landscaping
My husband and I will be moving into our new home next...
Ladyb319
My avocado tree is not doing good
I bought this choquette tree from a nursery in Florida...
xdxproxdx
New home privacy landscaping ideas?
We are building a house in Tallahassee and need suggestions...
memorr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™