soil for SF garden

Biglou1(7)March 12, 2013

I am hearing a lot about Mel's mix i checked at Lowes and it is rather expensive. I have a 3X8 X 12" Ft elevated planter. can i fill it partially with a potting mix like miracle grow and then place a few inches of Mel's mix on top ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ray_Scheel(z8b/SS31 E. TX)

If the potting mix already has a significant amount of vermiculite or some other moisture regulator / drainage component to it, you could get by with mixing some straight compost into the top portion to boost the nutritive organic component.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 5:43PM
northerngrapes

What is wrong with your native soil? Amend with compost and coffee grounds for a significant cost savings. I have done this both with sand and clay soils.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 5:52AM
socal_mtngal(8 san diego 4600ft)

You can get away with 6-8" of depth (unless you want long carrots), Mel's mix is a well balanced combination and has been developed from much research, especially for shallow depths. Using some potting soil probably wouldn't hurt; I've done so without any problems.

Depending on where you live, native soil is usually too heavy and nutrient-poor for SFG, but is always improved by adding plenty of compost and vermiculite.
Good luck! Lynn

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
Weed Barrier
I was excited to find this forum. I started dabbling...
mtnrunner
New to gardening and already disappointed in myself :(
I decided to make a raised bed garden and start growing...
cammie895
Looking for bloggers
I am looking for folk interested in writing about square...
Andrew_Green
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
staining wood for raised beds.
I'm wanting to build a raised bed and first went out...
johnmcd348
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™