Growing Tomatoes In The Desert

sherilou_2010(8)April 10, 2011

What are your methods to prevent transplant shock for tomato plants that you've started? I've found that the intense desert heat, high winds and cold nights are absolute misery for tomatoes.

Also... please list any other tomato growing tricks that you have learned for producing tomatoes in the desert. I really would love to get my beefsteak tomatoes to produce this year... thank you so much!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabaceae_native

Well you're right that the desert heat, wind, and cold nights are hard on transplants, and I would add intense sunlight and low humidity!

I live above the desert proper, where of the above list the only thing we don't get at transplanting time is quite so much heat, but the sunlight is even more intense due to the elevation (around 7,000)....So here's what I do:

1. First of all make absolutely sure the plants are fully hardened off by setting them in their pots outside for a week or two. Gradually move them from a sheltered spot to a more exposed one over this time.
2. If possible choose cooler, overcast (rainy would be best!) weather for transplanting, and do it in the evening, certainly not in the heat of the midday.
3. For an added boost experiment with some kind of row/plant cover. I use those clear 5-gallon water containers with the bottom cut out, slipped down over the plant with a bamboo pole stuck down through the mouth and into the soil to keep it from blowing away.

I've never lost a plant following these basic considerations, and I've seen plenty of other people's transplants wilting away. This underscores the importance of the first step -- hardening off.

Good luck with your tomatoes this year!

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 10:15AM
sherilou_2010(8)

The 5 gallon water container trick is perfect... thank you!!! My plants will love that at night and on really windy days. :)

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 2:07PM
rvsunn

on the right track. Our big beef were 7 feet tall and 8 ft around with 100s of to's. But ours were in the patio surrounded by 12 inch thick 4 ft tall stucco walls and the house on one side. A wall makes a huge difference.

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 10:01AM
More Discussions
Searching for Palo Verde 'Desert Museum'
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and have searched...
Oyster123
Red rock used for desert landscaping, how hot??
I live in an HOA with lovely natural desert dirt and...
casseybug
rugosa rosas in Santa Fe, NM??
Want to grow low growing but spreading roses in my...
PvBme
help..summer coming too fast
This is a strange problem. This winter has been so...
katied55791
I am new users here
I am new here. And i have a website about dell drivers...
jerfrank
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™