Camellias and Peonies

Redcubia(7b TN)September 1, 2004

I live in Middle, west Tennessee and am looking for a good nursery to buy beautiful camellias and exotics Peonies.

This is the season to buy them, but I don't seem to have any luck finding them. Does any one has any idea where I can purchase some quality Camellias and Peonies ??

Thank you very much !!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Camelia japonica is borderline hardy in West Tennessee. One out of every 8 winters will kill them. The sasanquas are hardier, although not as showy. Memphis Botanic Garden has a lath house where they overwinter the more tender varieties, and you might consider doing somthing similar since you really love them. There really isn't a good nursery for "exotic" peonies, as they too are a problem in the South, but for the opposite reason, with but a few varieties getting enough winter chill to do well at all. You might try mail order for the peonies, but concentrate on the ones that work in warm winter areas like Festiva Maxima and Sarah Bernhardt.

Bookmark   September 2, 2004 at 9:49PM
Dieter2NC(z7b NC)

If you can find one 'Jean May' is beautiful double pink sasanqua which blooms in Oct. here in Charlotte. Ditto the previous message on peonies, look for the early bloomers they tend to do better in the south.

Bookmark   September 4, 2004 at 8:14PM
GTaylorNC(Z7b NC)

You might also try the hardy camellias bred as crosses with Camellia Olifera. Some of these are hardy to Z6, having been bred at the national arboretum. Many of them have "winter", "ice", "snow",or "April" in the name. I have 2 "Winter's Star" Camellias I planted this year and can't wait to see them bloom!

Here is a link that might be useful: American Camellia Society list of cold hardy Camellias

Bookmark   September 7, 2004 at 9:39PM
mkjones(z8)

I just recently did a "study" on whether/what peonies would possibly do well in my area--Trophy Club, N. TX. A wonderful Californian shared that he'd seen many blooming peonies from his drives over to Dallas, and advised me to give them a try. He also recommended "Fiesta Maxima," as well as "Duchess De Nemours." I ordered "Duchess" from a highly recommended supplier, Gilbert H. Wild. I can't wait to give peonies a try, and with luck and effort, I'll have photos to share next season!

=) Kathleen

Here is a link that might be useful: Gilbert H. Wild

Bookmark   September 14, 2004 at 7:08PM
More Discussions
Windbreak, Privacy Screen, City Lot, Wet Feet
Hello - I need some ideas for what to do along the...
Tryska D
Beautiful Ideas for Oak Savanna
Anyone have any ideas of things to add to an Oak Savanna...
Savannagirl
Edgeworthia chrysantha
Hello, I have recently bought and planted a Edgeworthia...
sfcrumley
Fine garden April issue, no southeast pics
Why not? Steve aitken Why no southeast pics?
josephene_gw
Sugar Cane
Is there a preferred time of year in planting it? What,...
greenepastures
Sponsored Products
Sample-Fusion Camellia With Silver Deco Tiles Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Camellia Wall Planter - 81115ELBBWI
$65.99 | Hayneedle
Sample-Fusion Camellia With Copper Deco Tiles Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Camellia Coaster - Set of Four
$9.99 | zulily
Jamie Young Camellia 15"W Antique Silver Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus