Hostas, Caladium in NW New Mexico

woosmomApril 25, 2006

Anyone have any luck growing hostas or caladium in NW New Mexico? I planted a gaggle of hosta and caladium bulbs this year on Easter and there are no signs of life (i.e., nothing is popping through the soil). The soil is clay enriched with garden soil, lots of mulch, and yum-yum.

In reading through other posts, I am wondering if I have killed the patch (too much water? not enough? did I plant too early?). Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Cori - The Challenged New Mexico Gardener

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ABQ_Bob(USDA 5a/SS 2A)

I've had good luck with hosta that have an East exposure and shade during the afternoon. They get regular water, I do let the surface dry before watering again. Mine that have been established for a few years are just popping through the ground, so yours might still be waiting a bit. I'd give them at least a couple more weeks before giving up on 'em.

I've never had caladiums grow. I planted a bunch of them in my "shade bed" and they never even sprouted - I have a ligularia and a japanese painted fern back in the same area, and they do great there. I think I may have tried hosta back there too, and they didn't work - might be TOO shady there for some things.

Bookmark   April 25, 2006 at 2:40PM
More Discussions
plant ID
Hi, A friend of mine is trying to identify the plant...
alexander3_gw
Roses for a small space that can take the heat, zone 7b
Any suggestions? We have room for a couple of new roses, in...
Theresa McHarney
rugosa rosas in Santa Fe, NM??
Want to grow low growing but spreading roses in my...
PvBme
1/3 acre on slope elevation 3400
Hi there, We have around 1/3 of an acre with a slight...
ltews
Help get rid of Scorpions - have dogs
Help!!. My friend has a new wooden house in the South....
Natilie70
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™