Can anyone ID these?

tim4444September 20, 2008

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

The second one looks like it could be japanese ligustrum. Can you give more details on the size, shape, location of these? Have you ever seen flowers on the first one?

Are these from the same plant?

Bookmark   September 21, 2008 at 2:51PM
tim4444

Thanks esh!

I believe you are exactly right on the second one being a japanese ligustrum. The pictures I see on the web match it exactly especially with the drupes. I have been trying to find out what it was for years as we have several in our front yard.

The other one that has the slightly red leaves with the new growth is another shrub that is growing nearby. I have not witnessed any drupes, berries, or seeds on any that we have although I believe that there were some present on a much larger one that we had that had to be taken down due to size (30-40 ft tall) and location. Mostly what we have now are the "saplings" from it that I am interested in making a formal hedge with. They are about 3 feet tall now and have grown that much just over the last 4 months. The clipping in the picture is from one that is more established and currently is a shrub with a 6 foot spread and 6 foot tall and growing. I will include a picture of it as well if that will help.

Thanks so much!!!

Bookmark   September 22, 2008 at 12:26PM
esh_ga

Yeah, maybe it would help to see the other picture. Perhaps something in the habit of the plant will help.

Bookmark   September 22, 2008 at 8:48PM
jenna_gayle

I have some of the first picture in my yard. At first I thought maybe it's a dogwood since there is a large dogwood about 20 feet from where I saw the first sprouting. I just grows entirely too fast for that! I cut it back 2 months ago and it's right back as tall again! I pulled up some of the roots and seems to be growing off of a large root system similar to that of wisteria. It's becoming something of a pest like wisteria, but I'd also like to know what it is so if it's a good plant I can relocate it!

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 10:41AM
More Discussions
privacy screen HELP!
My lovely country/cottage garden style yard and porch...
inbloominalabama
Fine garden April issue, no southeast pics
Why not? Steve aitken Why no southeast pics?
josephene_gw
My avocado tree is not doing good
I bought this choquette tree from a nursery in Florida...
xdxproxdx
New home landscaping
My husband and I will be moving into our new home next...
Ladyb319
Leggy Aspidistra
I have large Aspidistras that sat for several years...
pbatlanta1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™