bush champion cucumber

daylilyfanatic4(Zone 6 SE NY)March 6, 2009

hi, I have some questions about bush champion cucumber.

First of all how big do they actually get?

How many can I plant per square? The SFG book says two cuckes per square for big kinds ( not a chance IMHO) the seed pack says 36" apart but thats if you don't trellis them. On a trellis could I do 1 per SF?

How much do they produce? I've seen estimates that range from 2 cukes to 5 dozen. If I have insect atttracting flowers and try to had polinate how many fruit can I expect?

do they really produce in ~ 58 days?

how many weeks before transplanting do I need to start the seeds? I've seen a range saying between 6-2 weeks.

does anyone have any vegtable pics?

I know its completly unrealated to the rest of my post but I need something to dream about before my peas come up.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sb158(9a)

I don't have any experience with that variety of cuke, I've always grown the vining kind. They always produce alot. For melons, cukes, and squash, 2 wks. before is usually enough, since they grow so fast.

As for pics, go to Webshots and search for veggies, garden, or whatever. You'll find tons of pics to inspire. I sure did.

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 2:41PM
anniesgranny(6b)

I planted Spacemaster, which is probably similar. They will easily go one per sf...I grew mine in containers that were about 12", and I tied them up as they grew. The cukes were very good, and quite large.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 4:22PM
carolynp(z7)

I grew bush cucumbers last year and the two vines were both about 4' long. I grew them 1/sf and they seemed fine. I got about 1 1/2 dozen from each vine. They were pretty productive. I would get two or three, then get a couple more, then a couple more. They seemed to fill in one after another. I didn't have to hand pollinate mine. They did it just fine themselves. We only got about 3 dozen max from the two vines and it was STILL too much for our family, lol. I like cucumbers just in and of themselves, but two a day is a fine amount for a small family.

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 5:15PM
More Discussions
Onion spacing- 16/sq ft vs. Dixondale recommendation
Dixondale farms suggests 4" between onions, and...
mmqchdygg
My sister broke my corn tassel!
Long story short, I have a few corn plants growing...
Nila Arivoli
Vining plants and selection for beginner.
So glad to have found this resource! I am starting...
GreenFox
Probably A Dumb Question But
My backyard in AZ is entirely gravel/rocks and pavers....
tascer
Looking for bloggers
I am looking for folk interested in writing about square...
Andrew_Green
Sponsored Products
Vondom | Moma Low Planter
YLiving.com
Champion 4000 Watt Portable Generator With RV Outlet and Wheel Kit
Overstock.com
Bush Midnight Mist Component Tower - AD44840-03
$217.55 | Hayneedle
The Perfect Shade Protector 16 x 12-ft. Motorized Semi-Cassette Retractable Awni
Hayneedle
Chocolate Brown Champion Loveseat
Overstock.com
Champion 1700 PSI Pressure Washer
Overstock.com
Vondom | Kannelloni Planter LED
YLiving.com
Jura Capresso CoffeeTEAM GS 10 Cup Grind & Brew - 464.05
$166.65 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™