Mel's Mix: My Compost Variety, is it ok?

volguy9595March 29, 2013

Ok so I'm new to raised bed gardening. I built two 8'x4' beds 11 inches deep out of cedar.

Filled each bed with:

8 cu ft coarse vermiculite

6 cu ft. peat moss

Compost Mix:
3 bags(about .5-.75 cu ft each) composted cow manure(Moo-Nure)

2 cu ft EarthGro Organic Humus and Manure

3 cu ft Nature's Helper Premium Mushroom Compost

4 cu ft Miracle Grow Vegetable Soil(couldn't find any other variety of organic compost)

I know its not exactly 1/3 of each vermiculite, peat moss, and compost. I know you are supposed to use a variety of composts and my main question is if this is enough variety and if this mix should work out well for my vegetable garden this year. I do plan on making my own compost for next year, just haven't started yet. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a(6a)

I don't do the Mel's mix but from what I understand you may be defeating the intent of the mix by using the Miracle Grow Soil. It is supposed to be a soilless mix. Substituting two more types of compost for the soil mix would be appropriate to call it Mel's mix. It may do just fine but it isn't Mel's mix.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 2:38PM
volguy9595

yeah, not technically Mel's Mix I guess. I just hadn't been able to find other compost varieties. Hopefully it'll still produce some good veggies.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 2:50PM
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a(6a)

volguy, I bet it will be just fine.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 3:15PM
volguy9595

dirtguy, thanks. I'm sure it will do ok at least. Just wanted to make sure I have enough variety of nutrients.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 5:58PM
gjshawk(6)

This is my first year with an SFG also. I have 4 boxes, 3 with the 5 compost mix and one with a 2 compost mix. I'm thinking that the plants will decide. Most grow pretty well in plain old dirt, so anything better than that is an improvement. I have strawberries in the 2 compost mix box, and while it is early they are doing just fine. I plan on adding corn in that box as soon as it is warm enough (western Colorado). I'm interested to see if there is a difference in how my plants grow in the boxes and compare how the compost mixes do. I don't think you have to worry. Sunshine and water are just as important as the soil mix.

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 5:46PM
More Discussions
Watery soil under raised bed
Hey all, I am new to raised beds, just started construction...
jazz1234
Sub Irrigation Planter
I've read two ways to build these. One with gravel...
tedeboy
Onion spacing- 16/sq ft vs. Dixondale recommendation
Dixondale farms suggests 4" between onions, and...
mmqchdygg
What should I use to fill my raised beds?
I'm going to be making some raised beds in my backyard...
hazeldazel
Vining plants and selection for beginner.
So glad to have found this resource! I am starting...
GreenFox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™