Help Salvaging Oleanders

timmygroverApril 14, 2013

Don't laugh please! :D I don't have a lot of experience gardening, but I've rented a house with three oleanders in the back that don't look like they've ever been pruned. I decided to give it a try and cut one of them back, and quickly realized that I have no idea what I'm doing.

In the pic I've posted, the oleander I tried my handiwork on is on the left, there are two left I haven't had the guts to touch until I get some advice.

I'd like them to become tall, mostly vertical bushes, or maybe a nice tree or something. Hopefully I'm not being so vague I can't be helped!

Any aid would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

They are almost impossible to kill, even if you chainsaw them to the ground, so don't worry.

If you want a multiple trunk "tree" oleander, all you have to do is prune out the short stuff from the base, and the side branches, leaving as many long branches as you want. Also remove any dead stubs.

It will take constant, but light, maintenance because they tend to sprout shoots up from the base.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 2:53PM
Yorkies2

As a landlord, I would be upset with you for butchering landscape plants without permission. Did you talk to your landlord before attempting this?

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 10:38AM
marycalz

To Timmy Grover, dont worry about the landlord, it appears you've made an "improvement" by pruning the oleander on the left. Its blooming nicely the others aren't. I live in Texas and have always had oleanders and they "need" to be pruned, trimmed, they will thrive. If you want them as vertical trees prune the smallers shoots, limbs. You are doing a good job !

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 9:28PM
dzejna(z7/TX)

I agree. :) very nice job indeed, just prune them halfway once the blooms are gone and voila. Oleander 101.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
Can you identify this worm thing?
Cross posting, to reach as many as possible who might...
ernie85017
Anyone had those low litter trees near swimming pool?
I am looking for a evergreen tree to plant near a swimming...
monkeyta123
Help get rid of Scorpions - have dogs
Help!!. My friend has a new wooden house in the South....
Natilie70
Red rock used for desert landscaping, how hot??
I live in an HOA with lovely natural desert dirt and...
casseybug
Want to replace lawn with xeriscape, need advice
Hi All, I posted something similar in lawn care but...
andrewm2211
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™