Earthworms in our soil?

frdnicholas(Albuquerque NM)April 12, 2006

I have been adding compost and aged manure to my fruit trees, roses and vegetable beds without seeing but a few earthworms. Someone told me that our soil gets so hot here in Albuquerque (I have full sun all day) that it's too hot for the worms. Does this sound right to you all, or do I just need to wait until my soil is built up better?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirt_dew(z9 az)

It does not get to hot for earthworms! I have an abundance of big, fat ones here in Phoenix. We had 96°F here today. We will have 116° in June and likely 118°. It has been up to 122° here before. I never put any poisons on the soil. If the soil is too dry they may be deeper. Keep adding compost and no chemicals. The worms are there waiting for food and water.
Happy gardening.

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 1:30AM
aklinda

I moved onto my lot last Nov and the only place I have found earthworms is in two of my three flower beds that have organic materials incorporated and that get watered fairly regularly. Last winter I ground up all of the leaves and let them lay on the soil surface and I have added compost. I did not find many but they are there. One of the flower beds is in full sun but still had some earthworms. I'll add more compost and will mulch with leaves again this winter. I added a short fence to help keep the leaves from blowing away. I'm in Bosque Farms - a little cooler sometimes than parts of Albuquerque.

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 2:06AM
frdnicholas(Albuquerque NM)

So, once again, the message is patience, patience, patience. Thank you for your help. I will keep adding organic materials and wait for them to come.

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 7:54AM
abq_bob(USDA 5a/SS 2A)

Been doing a lot of digging around in the garden beds this weekend and have found plenty of worms - so I'd say they're around - probably just waiting for your dirt to taste better, hehe.

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 6:10PM
More Discussions
large cactus and yuccas hardy in Idaho
I just planted 25 Yucca faxoniana that are 15' tall...
matsukaze
West Texas Grape Tomato Hybrids/Varieties?
I moved to the Amarillo area a little over 2 years...
Breeder_Ben
I am new users here
I am new here. And i have a website about dell drivers...
jerfrank
rugosa rosas in Santa Fe, NM??
Want to grow low growing but spreading roses in my...
PvBme
1/3 acre on slope elevation 3400
Hi there, We have around 1/3 of an acre with a slight...
ltews
Sponsored Products
Moth Orchid Planter
Overstock.com
Tricorn Black Cleo 24" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Mia Satin Nickel Three-Light Bath Fixture with Magma Glass
$391.50 | Bellacor
Danze® Bannockburn™ Mini-Widespread Lavatory Faucet - Oil Rubbed Bronze
Modern Bathroom
Antique Bronze Pharmacy Floor Lamp
Cost Plus World Market