Birds of paradise new leaves pale yellow

logoSeptember 14, 2014

New leaves very pale ( yet robust)
What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zensojourner

Got any pictures?

Have you checked to see if you're overwatering? I had a jasmine that started to get all chlorosis-y. I finally pulled it out of the pot and discovered that the person I had bought it from had potted it very very oddly. There was a potting soil mix on top, but under that was basically a high-clay mud. She must have dug that out of the ground somewhere. It's a wonder it did as well as it did for as long as it did.

So when I moved it from the Midwest, where I only needed to water it a couple of times a week at most, to the blazing desert, where it needed much more frequent watering, the top would dry out while the bottom just turned into sludgy mud.

So I washed all that sludge off as many of the roots as possible and put it back in pure potting media (soiless). The chlorosis disappeared entirely in a matter of days, and I'm back to only needing to water it a couple times a week.

In my case, it was pretty much ALL the leaves that were affected. If it really is only new leaves in your case, you might have a mineral deficiency. Try some epsom salt solution first. That will address any issues with either Sulfur or Magnesium deficiencies.

If that doesn't help things in a week or so, you could try an application of an iron supplement.

But do check the planting medium. You should be able to pull it out of the pot and look at it without a lot of trouble. It should be on the dryish side before you do that, eg not right after you've watered it.

Bookmark   September 14, 2014 at 5:10PM
More Discussions
Growing yucca from seed
I'm not sure where to post this--someone will probably...
cocomo49
West Texas Grape Tomato Hybrids/Varieties?
I moved to the Amarillo area a little over 2 years...
Breeder_Ben
Roses for a small space that can take the heat, zone 7b
Any suggestions? We have room for a couple of new roses, in...
Theresa McHarney
Searching for Palo Verde 'Desert Museum'
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and have searched...
Oyster123
1/3 acre on slope elevation 3400
Hi there, We have around 1/3 of an acre with a slight...
ltews
Sponsored Products
Super Slab With Finger Grooves Chopping Block - 12020
$127.56 | Hayneedle
King 400TC Palm Springs Block Sheet Set - WHITE/YELLOW
$189.90 | Horchow
Francesca Oversized 3-piece Quilt Set
Overstock.com
Calhoun Leather Ottoman - Brighton Lemon Grass Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Quoizel Aldora 36" Wide Palladian Bronze Chandelier
Lamps Plus