What size mesh for hardware cloth?

summer_fashion(z5 IN)March 9, 2011

I called Lowe's and they have hardware cloth but I don't know what size mesh to buy. The garden salesperson said that they had hardware cloth in a 24"w x 10' long size and they also have 2'x 25' Could anyone tell me which one to buy? Does it matter how big the wire mesh size is? If its 2' wide, could I overlap this mesh and staple the edges to the side boards? Thank you. Margaret

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
commgardener11

I'm sure it depends on what you want to use it for...

To protect from burrowing animals, like gophers, I was told by the master gardener at my community garden to use 1/2 inch hardware cloth, and to be sure it's galvanized, or it'll rust in not time.

Be sure to shop around. I found prices in my local hardware shops were pretty expensive. I found what I needed from amazon.com for $110 cheaper than in the store...

Bookmark   March 11, 2011 at 12:58AM
forensicmom

I use 1/2" to keep rodents out. I have used 1/4" but it's harder to cut and more work for me, so I keep going back to the 1/2"

Bookmark   March 14, 2011 at 7:41PM
summer_fashion(z5 IN)

Has anyone built a cover/top for your raised bed? I mean the one's that are made of wood (1x1 wood?) that you staple chicken wire to and maybe have a hinged back so that it could be lifted up to work in the raised bed? If anyone has made this could you please put the instructions on how to build a hinged top in the square foot garden thread? THank you. Margaret

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 3:05PM
More Discussions
Using Miracle Gro Potting Mix in a Square Foot Bed
Turns out that courtesy of Costco, I can fill my bed...
GardeningHeidi
Vining plants and selection for beginner.
So glad to have found this resource! I am starting...
GreenFox
Onion spacing- 16/sq ft vs. Dixondale recommendation
Dixondale farms suggests 4" between onions, and...
mmqchdygg
SFG drip system
As I ponder building my boxes and irrigation I am considering...
tedeboy
staining wood for raised beds.
I'm wanting to build a raised bed and first went out...
johnmcd348
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™