Magnesium and iron

Moonsinger(7)May 26, 2004

I know here with the sandy soil on the west side of Albq we should amend with something. Is it Ironite? Magnesium? Potassium? Any suggestions? thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DrynDusty(z8 AZ)

I know the first thing to add to the soil is organic matter: it gets used up fast in the hot weather.
I don't know if I would use Ironite, although Lots of people do use it. It's manufactured from mining wastes and has been found to be high in lead, which is taken up by plants. There was an article in Organic Gardening Magazine last year, I think, on the topic.
Magnesium, usually in the form of Epsom Salts, may be useful in working with clay soils.
Potassium is one of the essential nutrients for life, and is present in compost. It may be amended to the soil in the form of green sand, for one source.
Norm

Bookmark   May 27, 2004 at 5:25PM
flofloflia(5)

I am in the North Valley and mostly have clay soil but have a few sandy areas. Try using composted cotton burs, work it into the the soil before planting. Organic matter will help you more than trace elements (ironite)

Good Luck!
Jeff

Bookmark   May 28, 2004 at 10:37AM
Moonsinger(7)

Thanks, all, especially about Ironite! Man, I don't need that kind of toxin in my soil! I do add organic matter (compost, alfalfa feed) and will do some epsom salts. I do lots of container gardening, but some things in the ground would be nice, too.

Bookmark   June 3, 2004 at 12:56PM
More Discussions
plant ID
Hi, A friend of mine is trying to identify the plant...
alexander3_gw
when to start
Hi, When are folks starting some seeds indoors? What...
rvsunn
1/3 acre on slope elevation 3400
Hi there, We have around 1/3 of an acre with a slight...
ltews
large cactus and yuccas hardy in Idaho
I just planted 25 Yucca faxoniana that are 15' tall...
matsukaze
Can you identify this worm thing?
Cross posting, to reach as many as possible who might...
ernie85017, zn 9, phx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™