Any gardener in the Natchez, MS area?

deep_south_gardener(z9b)October 20, 2007

Hey ya'll,

I may be purchasing some property in the Natchez

area. Would like to know what to expect as

a gardener. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brenda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Hi, Brenda
I garden in Meridian, MS, which is a little further north from Natchez, but wouldn't be extremely different. I have also gardened in New Orleans in the past. Natchez is a beautiful city filled with very traditional old south gardens: azaleas, camellias, cast iron plants, holly ferns, etc. The best recommendation I can give you is to purchase a copy of The Southern Living Garden Book by Steve Bender. Gardening in the deep south is very different from other parts of the country, including the Pacific Northwest, with whom we share the same hardiness zone. The thing that limits our plant palette most is our extremely warm nights during the summer months, in addition to our high heat and humidity. There are many many plants that grow up north that will not survive our climate. But, on the other hand, there are many things that grow here that won't grow up north either. I love gardening here. I can be out in my yard working ten months a year if I want to, even more if I bundle up a bit. Hope you love Natchez!

Bookmark   October 22, 2007 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
Leland Cypress screen planting?
I want to plant a Leland Cypress privacy screen. There...
wendyb_2007
How to care for new sod - Hibernation
Hello, As of this second, I have a team of people putting...
thom71gt
Crepe Myrtle in the ICU
Hi folks, This crepe myrtle came from the builder when...
rwiki
Edgeworthia chrysantha
Hello, I have recently bought and planted a Edgeworthia...
sfcrumley
invasion of something on my coleus
I have 18 coleus in pots They have been great but......
optiwench
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™