Hill Ideas

elkhunter_gardenerMay 30, 2010

I am new to Texas and I have a very large hill on the property that I don't know what to do with. The soil is very poor and rocky (limestone shale) and the hill is too steep to mow the weeds down (weeds apparently do very well). I am looking for any ideas that will 1) prevent erosion, 2) beautify the hill 3) no maintenance 4) little to no water (irrigation).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
desertlvr

Dwarf Coyote Bush (baccharis pilularis) fits all of your requirements. Needs some water to get established of course but will survive on rain alone, as it does in the Chihuahuan and Sonoran deserts. Tough, attractive plant. If it's not available at a local nursery, you can buy inexpensive mail order plants. No need to buy big plants; it is a fast grower.

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 11:17AM
lazy_gardens

Where in Texas? How much freezing do you have?

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 12:05PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Is this HIll country , Cross Timbers or west Texas. What plant community is around it now?? Nolina texana and nolina lindheimeri. Wheeping muhlenbergia. Liatris muncrata or Liatris punctada.Dalea greggii..any of the daleas. Salvia gregii, salvia chionophyla, curly mesquite grass. agarita,Desert willow tree.Damianita, heteratheca villosa (stiff leaved false golden aster) It will seed out. I have spare plants and seed.

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 12:19AM
More Discussions
Red rock used for desert landscaping, how hot??
I live in an HOA with lovely natural desert dirt and...
casseybug
Help get rid of Scorpions - have dogs
Help!!. My friend has a new wooden house in the South....
Natilie70
Anyone had those low litter trees near swimming pool?
I am looking for a evergreen tree to plant near a swimming...
monkeyta123
Creosote near Isleta/Albuquerque
Just thought I'd throw this out there. Recently I drove...
cactus_dude
1/3 acre on slope elevation 3400
Hi there, We have around 1/3 of an acre with a slight...
ltews
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™