Russian Sage: Is it mourning or is it dead?

woosmomMay 26, 2006

Yesterday I transplanted two russian sages and one catmint to a sunnier area of the yard. The three plants are in their second season and were in excellent health prior to transplanting.

Ten minutes after transplanting, they wilted! And I mean WILTED! 18 hours later, they are still droopy. Not laying on the ground, but very sad looking.

Does anyone know what happended and if the plants can be saved? I used root stimulator prior to planting and watered the area well after planting. They got a big dose of direct sun and wind yesterday afternoon. Could this have fried them? I didn't think much about transplanting in the afternoon given the hardiness of both species.

Any suggestions to revive the plants would be greatly appreciated.

Cori ~ The Challenged New Mexico Gardener

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ABQ_Bob(USDA 5a/SS 2A)

Plants don't like being transplanted when it's as hot as it has been. And moving from shade to sun is another big shock. So you're dealing with a triple whammy - transplant shock, heat shock, light shock. The biggest help to assist them in their new home would be to provide some shade and slowly acclimate them to the new spot by giving them less and less shade over time...

Also be careful of water - the plants are going to look droopy no matter how much water you give them because they're trying to deal with the increased heat and light. And you don't want the roots to rot. I'd probably just water like you were in their old locations - maybe a little less since they're in shock. You could add some humidity/evaporative cooling (by lightly spraying the dirt or walls or anything around the plants that's in full sun where it will quickly evaporate) which will help cool the area around the new plantings.

Warm weather transplants are best done during cloudy spells, it reduces the heat and intensity of the sun and provides some higher humidity. Good luck,

--Bob

Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 3:24PM
woosmom

Thanks for the in-depth response Bob. Major winds, high temps, and little cloud cover ultimately sent the plants (or me) over the edge. I removed them and put in iris. I printed your post for future planting reference. Great information!

Cori

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 10:29AM
shawna_8(z5 IL)

Woosmom - I'm curious - whatever happened to those Russian Sage? I just transplanted 6 giant plants and we've had 85 to 90 degree days. I'm completely freaked that I'm going to lose them all.

I've only watered once every day, but very heavily.

Let me know! Thanks! Shawna

Bookmark   September 3, 2007 at 4:21PM
wineandlobos

I planted some russian sage and 2 days later they were just as you described them, they were completly fried and droopy.I have bad luck with sage.

Bookmark   September 3, 2007 at 5:21PM
More Discussions
Creosote near Isleta/Albuquerque
Just thought I'd throw this out there. Recently I drove...
cactus_dude
Red rock used for desert landscaping, how hot??
I live in an HOA with lovely natural desert dirt and...
casseybug
Roses for a small space that can take the heat, zone 7b
Any suggestions? We have room for a couple of new roses, in...
Theresa McHarney
Growing yucca from seed
I'm not sure where to post this--someone will probably...
cocomo49
plant ID
Hi, A friend of mine is trying to identify the plant...
alexander3_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™