Help with this plant, ID and repotting

hollymaria25May 14, 2014

So, I am new to succulents, but figured since I live in the desert they would be good beginner plants to start with. Does anyone know what type of plant this is? Also I just potted it last week and seems to be dying at the bottom, I just watered it, are there any tips to keep it alive and grow larger? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanzone5(z5NY)

That's an escheveria and it looks like it has some baby offshoots. It will spread into a nice mat if you plant it in a bigger pot or in the ground. It has nowhere to grow in that pot, so it's reaching out. It's very healthy, just needs more space. All the rosettes should be sitting flat on the soil.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 3:00PM
lazy_gardens

Keep in mind that very few succulents actually like full sun in the desert. They sunburn and die back.

They grow well in the shade of trees and patio overhangs and north sides of houses.

When you water them, SOAK them thoroughly and then let them dry out almost completely. You can kill them with frequent, light waterings.

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 10:33AM
mingtea(z9 Tucson)

That's Aeonium arboretum... Probably 'zwartkop' or atropurpureum. Will grow quite large in ideal conditions. You need a soil that drains more freely, then you can give it some deep waterings.. Morning sun, bright afternoon indirect light.

-Ming

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
Anyone had those low litter trees near swimming pool?
I am looking for a evergreen tree to plant near a swimming...
monkeyta123
Help get rid of Scorpions - have dogs
Help!!. My friend has a new wooden house in the South....
Natilie70
large cactus and yuccas hardy in Idaho
I just planted 25 Yucca faxoniana that are 15' tall...
matsukaze
If anyone's growing Black Sapote, Tejocote, or Copao...
I am interested in seeds or small rooted cuttings. I...
ansarac
West Texas Grape Tomato Hybrids/Varieties?
I moved to the Amarillo area a little over 2 years...
Breeder_Ben
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™