How late to plant zucchini?

frdnicholas(Albuquerque NM)May 11, 2009

I am trying to plant late to possibly miss the squash vine borer that has ruined my squash each year. When should I plant here in Albuquerque to try this technique?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dustbunni

I live near Tucson. There are several seasons of squash borers.

They are going to get summer squash no matter what I do. The thing that's worked best for me is to get down and search for eggs on the underside of leaves and stems and poke them with a needle. I do this only with the first plants. I never get them all. I also go after borers in the stem with a wire, but you probably know that works maybe half the time.

I just plant squash once a month and enjoy what I want and give away the rest or compost it. I don't bother to preserve summer squash. I don't really like it frozen or canned. When a vine succumbs to borer damage, I pull it up and put it in the burn pile--not the compost pile.

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 7:44PM
practicingmg

I have heard that planting July 4th avoids most squash bugs in central NM. I am trying it this year.
Good luck

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 9:25AM
frdnicholas(Albuquerque NM)

Have you had any difficulty finding squash that late in the stores, or do you grow from seed?

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 11:41AM
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

Zucchini mature in 45-55 days so you can have a planting in mid August and have fruit till the first frost.

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 7:15PM
vieja_gw(z7NM)

The past twp years I have waited here (zone 7 Albuquerque)til second week in June to plant the squash seeds & -it may just be luck- but those two years I never had a problem with squash bugs. Had heard that the heaviest squash bug egg laying is finished by June so will try my luck again by planting next week! I had squash really producing great when earlier planted neighbor's squash was past their prime so who knows?!

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 11:48PM
More Discussions
Please HELP tree selection and questions?
Hi everyone! I am so excited to finally start my gardening...
black-thumbs
help..summer coming too fast
This is a strange problem. This winter has been so...
katied55791
large cactus and yuccas hardy in Idaho
I just planted 25 Yucca faxoniana that are 15' tall...
matsukaze
Quail - gggrrrrrrrr
I am at my wit's end with quail doing a number on my...
eureka
1/3 acre on slope elevation 3400
Hi there, We have around 1/3 of an acre with a slight...
ltews
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™