Mister Lincoln bloom turned purple... lol

jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.October 25, 2013

I've been bringing in Mister Lincoln buds into the house and putting in a vase since outside weather has been colder recently ...

This time around I placed alittle sugar in the water everytime I changed the water. I've noticed the roses lasting longer BUT they turned from red to a more darker purple color...lol...Kinda of a cool color...
Anyone else ever experience this type of color change?

This post was edited by jim1961 on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 16:13

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
strawchicago 5a IL(zone 5a)

Hi Jim: thanks for those nice pics, I appreciate your sharing the result. Your Mr. Lincoln looks great, I love that purple color. I did the same with molasses to deepen my pink blooms. Here's an excerpt from previous thread:

RE: This is for Carol, or PortlandMysteryrose

â¢Posted by Strawberryhill 5a IL (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 14:44

On page 248 of Science book, see link below, in 1908 the Rhode Island Rose society did experiments of cut roses, and they found a 7 to 10% sugar solution improved the appearance of cut roses, plus deepened the colors of the pink varieties.

Which explains why Gardenville Sea Tea with molass deepened the colors of Serena's roses in KS, listed under Organic Honey-bees Garden profile in HMF.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1908 Rhode Island experiment with cut roses

â¢Posted by PortlandMysteryRose 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 15:03

"Thank you, Strawberry. My grandmom and mom taught me to use a little sugar and a tiny bit of lemon juice in cut flower vases." Carol.

***** From Strawberryhill: See below link for the pictures I posted in Organic Roses Forum: I made Angel Face rose turned deep purple, Evelyn deep pink, and Sonia Rykiel much deeper pink with molasses (slightly acidic).

Here is a link that might be useful: Molasses to deepen bloom colors

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 10:25PM
kittymoonbeam

Neat color. Reminds me of Twilight Zone.

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 1:53AM
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Thanks for info Strawberry...

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 11:49AM
nanadollZ7 SWIdaho(Zone 7 Boise SW Idaho)

Looks like Mr Lincoln is now Mr Ebb Tide, but still awfully gorgeous. I don't think I've tried the sugar trick on a dark one, but with lighter colored roses, I never noticed any darkening in color when sugar was added to their water. Diane

Bookmark   November 22, 2013 at 11:14PM
Resolute_Noir(11 (Philippines/tropical))

It looks more like Ebb Tide now! Does this sugar color change trick work only with cut flowers? Will it work with growing plants, like if you put a spoonful of sugar in your watering can and water them with it?

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 10:24PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I love your rose. Are you sure it's 'Mr. Lincoln'. I've never seen him open like this.

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 11:21PM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

Oh gorgeous!! I love that color!! I especially love the bloom on the left in the first picture.
Carol

Bookmark   November 25, 2013 at 2:36AM
More Discussions
Wheee!! February roses for Las Vegas
the roses that went in late spring last year are now...
lorrihz
Finally the buds didn't fall off.
Here's a mini florist rose I got a couple of years...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
Special kinds of Roses
The first picture is of my oldest granddaughter, showing...
sara_ann-z6bok
Roses "O"
Time for the O's..... ODESSA mini OKLAHOMA OKSANA OLDCASTLE OLD...
bethnorcal9
Name that rose game!
I know we already have a whole thread dedicated to...
kublakan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™