Off the ground bed - questions

shaefinsMarch 28, 2010

I'm planning a 32 sq ft bed, shaped like a T, to be raised off the ground a few feet (bad back). The plan is double later of small-holed chicken wire with weed barrier on top to hold in the dirt. Do you think the weed barrier will provide adequate drainage though?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

I presume the intent is to put the chicken wire at the bottom of the structure to keep out critters. There is no need for landscape fabric unless turf is underneath. Ensure you incorporate new planters mix into native to get the best drainage.

Dan

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 7:41PM
shaefins

Thanks for the reply, Dan. Actually the chicken wire and landscape fabric are to hold up the soil. The bottom of the raised garden will be a foot to three feet off the ground. This is a completely raised, as in not touching the ground, garden.

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 7:52PM
rds1955

I just finished a TT (Tabletop) 8'x4'x12"deep box, raised off the ground with cinder blocks, lined with weed barrier and hardware cloth...It's been doing great for three days... The proof will be in the pudding these next few days as it's supposed to rain about 3-5 inches of rain here on the east coast...Will see how it holds up to all the moisture with the added weight of a 32 Sq Ft box with 12" of mels mix...

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 10:00PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Ah. Don't see how it would be an issue, esp if you use the woven type of fabric (rather than a petrochemical with holes in it). You'll have a large surface area of soil able to exchange gases with the atmosphere, so you may want to watch the soil moisture levels and water accordingly. Enjoy.

Dan

Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Mel's Mix versus 100% Compost
Hello all, I am starting some boxes for growing. I...
bsntech
Using Miracle Gro Potting Mix in a Square Foot Bed
Turns out that courtesy of Costco, I can fill my bed...
GardeningHeidi
Watery soil under raised bed
Hey all, I am new to raised beds, just started construction...
jazz1234
Safe insecticide: Olive Oil, Dish Soap, Water
I'm going to try a safe insecticide first before going...
travelsfo
Mighty Matos / Mighty Veggies and SFG
Does anyone here have experience with SFG and Mighty...
tafountain
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™