Will the bleach from pressure cleaning the house harm plants?

iforgotitsonevermind(♪☺♫)November 11, 2009

I've always done my own pressure cleaning and didn't use bleach out of concern for the effect it would have on the plants in the garden.

Today I hired someone to do the pressure cleaning of the house and they use bleach. It wasn't negotiable but they said they dilute it and never had any complaints. I'm worried that this may harm the plants. Does anyone know?

I have shrubs and stuff planted right in the drip line.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

The potential for damage depends up the dilution rate and the care taken before, during, and after the job.

If the plants are misted beforehand, and then rinsed carefully right afterwards, you shouldn't experience much of a problem. That's assuming that the workers weren't negligent or careless in their mixing or application.

Pressure washing (with the right equipment) shouldn't flood the soil with a bleach solution, hopefully.

Bookmark   November 12, 2009 at 10:30AM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I have had my house pressure washed with bleach several times. The only damage I ever sustained was a bit of spotting on evergreens that were right up against the house. Rhizo's idea of rinsing the plants is an excellent one. I will remember it for next time. Follow it and you should be fine.

Bookmark   November 14, 2009 at 8:23AM
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

Another point to consider is damage that might be done internally to any plants when using bleach so consider the soil moisture level when the pressure washing is done. The drier the soil, the more likely that the bleach may do damage internally to the plant if it is absorbed into the root system. The wetter the soil, the less likely any damage will be done since the bleach can be diluted by the soil moisture before any may be taken up by the plant.

Bookmark   November 15, 2009 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Windbreak, Privacy Screen, City Lot, Wet Feet
Hello - I need some ideas for what to do along the...
Tryska D
Myrtle won't bloom
I have a couple of crape myrtles in my yard that won't...
gregnga
what does not (won't) grow in the south
This post is for FUTURE reference. I live in northern...
kawaiineko_gardener
HELP with horsetail fern
I think it is Equisetum hyemale. My husband planted...
beagardner
Rooting Lantana?
I've had success rooting many things, but not sure...
msjacki
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™