crape myrtle

juniemarie46May 31, 2006

I would like to know if anyone knows of a cold hardy crape myrtle. I have seen them in Abq but I am in los lunas near the river and I think I am in zone 5. I fear it is too cold here for them. I did hear about some that were developed at the university od Kanas that were more cold hardy but have not been able to find any info on them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shudavies(Zone 6a, CO)

I've grown one called 'Tonto' through three winters now, here in Canon City CO/zone 6, but it has died back down to the ground each year. It has a bark mulch around it and I pile some more around the base in the fall to try and keep the ground from freezing too much. It's back up to about two feet tall now and I expect some flowers again in late August/September, pretty late but that's the best it's done so far. We had a mild Fall followed by a relatively abrupt cold snap to minus 12 in early December, so I was just glad to see it come back up this Spring.

There are some others with Native American-sounding names - 'Zuni' and 'Hopi' come to mind, that are supposed to be extra-hardy too. Many times the trick with marginally hardy plants is to baby them through the first couple winters like with the extra bark mulch; then as they become more established they often get a little hardier. I still hope to get mine to the point where the stems near the base will survive, and give me a little bit more substantial shrub-like plant. We'll see...

Bookmark   June 7, 2006 at 12:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aggie_em(9a Houston TX)

This page has some great info about Crape Myrtle varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: US National Arboretum

Bookmark   June 12, 2006 at 2:16PM
More Discussions
Help get rid of Scorpions - have dogs
Help!!. My friend has a new wooden house in the South....
Natilie70
plant ID
Hi, A friend of mine is trying to identify the plant...
alexander3_gw
West Texas Grape Tomato Hybrids/Varieties?
I moved to the Amarillo area a little over 2 years...
Breeder_Ben
I am new users here
I am new here. And i have a website about dell drivers...
jerfrank
Animal eating lemon peels
Hi, I just found this forum and want to know what animal...
hammerhugger
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™