tulips&daffodils (what to do)

thomas75(AR7)November 27, 2004

I have recently made a 56x4 foot flower bed.I plan too plant tulips & daffodils in part of it.I got 60 tulip bulbs and 30 daffodil bulbs. I would like too how deep to plant and far to space them. My ph is 7 and fertilty level is low.I have added compost,rabbit,chicken poop.What else should I do. When do I plant them.This is my first flower bed and I need all the help I can get.Thanks in advance.

Thomas in AR.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

You should plant them as soon as possible. In general, tulips and daffodils should be planted 2-3 times as deep as they are wide. You may have instructions on the bulb package that you want to check. I usually sprinkle some bone meal in with them.

Bookmark   November 28, 2004 at 8:05AM
Hummingangel(8b SC)

I just planted 100 tulip bulbs last week. I put them 6" deep and 6" apart. Hope that works!

Dianna

Bookmark   December 2, 2004 at 9:25AM
topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)

I have heard that bone meal attracts dogs and other critters who will dig up the tulips. An electric drill with a bulb auger attatchment will make the task go faster.

Bookmark   December 2, 2004 at 11:17PM
Dieter2NC(z7b NC)

I prefer to plant my bulbs in clumps. I dig a hole 18" in diameter and 6-8" deep, and plant 7-10 bulbs in each. I do have a tulip bed which I plant 4" apart and 6"-8" deep. This makes for a nice full diplay. I also lay a piece of chicken wire over the bed to keep the furry tailed rats (squirrels) away.

Bookmark   December 6, 2004 at 8:23AM
More Discussions
Very hard pruning of big boxwoods?
I know this has been discussed before, but I just can't...
topsiebeezelbub
Rooting Lantana?
I've had success rooting many things, but not sure...
msjacki
Crepe Myrtle in the ICU
Hi folks, This crepe myrtle came from the builder when...
rwiki
Edgeworthia chrysantha
Hello, I have recently bought and planted a Edgeworthia...
sfcrumley
privacy screen HELP!
My lovely country/cottage garden style yard and porch...
inbloominalabama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™