Ok you all southern guy/gals, I'm catching up.

jbest123(Zone 5 PA)March 2, 2009

Today I started my pepper seeds and next week it will be the tom's and egg's and after that it will be the cole and salad greens. Get ready Mother Nature, here I come. ;o)

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ribbit32004

WOOHoO!!! Although after this week I'm thinking this spring gardening thing is for the birds. Literally....They seem to be the only ones that are going to profit from this slow growing mess before I have to rip it out for the summer crop.

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 7:03PM
anniesgranny(6b)

Don't feel too badly Ribbit/Rabbit. My AZ garden was a bit of a bummer, too. I didn't get much out of it for all the time I spent on it, but if I plant one down here next winter I'll know to get a LOT more soil amendments and dig them down into the sand below. And direct plant rather than start stuff in containers on the south side of the house.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 8:56PM
engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)

John - good luck catching up with us southern folks, some of us aren't called "poopyheads" for nothing. Ha!
Ok.....really, I'm glad you're finally able to get something started. How's that compost lookin' ?

EG

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 10:51PM
sinfonian(U8b A2 S5 SeaWA)

Way to go John! Hehe, I planted on peer pressure it seems. My cukes I seeded this weekend are way too early it seems. Oops.

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 12:44AM
jbest123(Zone 5 PA)

EG, the compost looks good. I was able to get some from the bottom of the one pile. I did not pasteurize it though and I am hoping nothing goofy grows instead of my seedlings.

sinfonian, my parents and grand parents always planted there cukes on the longest day of the year. I think a little bit of superstition was involved. ;o)

John

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 7:06AM
jleiwig(6)

John,

You don't think your starting a bit early?

I'm a zone south of you, and I won't be starting my tomatoes and peppers until next week. I'll be almost exactly 8 weeks out. You are 10 weeks out now, right?

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 10:38AM
jbest123(Zone 5 PA)

jleiwig, I always transplant my toms, peps and eggs into 4" pots. When the nighttime temperatures stay above 40 deg f, I leave the GH open at night and keep the temperatures cool during the day. The other veggies in the soil blocks will be planted directly in the garden. I usually plant my garden May 1st and if we have a late frost, I use hot-caps.

John

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 2:07PM
More Discussions
Mighty Matos / Mighty Veggies and SFG
Does anyone here have experience with SFG and Mighty...
tafountain
I'd like to try SFG like this....(see pic)
I'd like to try SFG in a 55 gallon drum like the one...
farmless_barn
Cold Weather Covers
I made a cover for a 4x4 box going off the instructions...
mtnrunner
Onion spacing- 16/sq ft vs. Dixondale recommendation
Dixondale farms suggests 4" between onions, and...
mmqchdygg
Vining plants and selection for beginner.
So glad to have found this resource! I am starting...
GreenFox
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™