Container plant question..

chloeashaNovember 14, 2011

Hey all! I haven't been back here in years. :) Anyway, I moved from NWA to the Delta here in Jonesboro. I got this apartment with a north-facing balcony (not my choice) which sees zero direct sun but it is bright light (my large philodendron does well on the other side of the french doors and has put on a lot of new growth). I got here in June and tried putting out some impatiens-- which was a huge failure. They heat-stressed and died (not really dried out.. I'm from NV and I remember heat stress well). Any ideas as to what should do well in the shade and offer some color? I'm thinking I need a bigger pot to provide some insulation second time around for sure. I was considering an Aucuba and maybe some liriope. It's sad though as I really wish I had more sun and could do flowering annuals like marigolds, zinnias, etc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianagal(z7bMS)

Hellebores, dwarf azaleas, dwarf nandina, heuchera.

Bookmark   November 14, 2011 at 9:07PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Wax or other begonias would be great for those conditions. What about beautiful foliage, like coleus, Caladiums, Persian shield (Strobilanthes dyerianus?) So pretty, flowers aren't necessary.

Bookmark   November 15, 2011 at 10:16AM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Torenia will love your conditions. I have a pot on my porch that has evergreen Autumn Fern, Carex Evergold, and blue trailing torenia in it through the summer. In the winter, I take cuttings from the torenia and bring it in. Then Arum Italicum Pictum bulbs come up in the space where the torenia was in summer. It's a beautiful pot.

If you want big plants, the Aucuba should do well. Also hydrangeas (there are smaller cultivars like Pia). You could also try Camellias.

Bookmark   November 15, 2011 at 1:48PM
chloeasha

I love the idea of camellias, but I'm scared of them heat-stressing. Thanks guys for all your suggestions! Donnabaskets-- that does sound really nice. I'm thinking of things which are fast-growing so aucuba came to mind (I remember it as being fast growing... I hope I am remembering correctly). Your carex pot idea made me think-- maybe a pot with aucuba and liriope and a second one with hardy begonias like purpleinopp suggested with my sedums and semps at the base? They did fine this summer on my balcony.

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 4:25AM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I grow both camellia japonicas and sasanquas. I have never known any of them to stress in the heat and they are very drought tolerant too. (A plus in pots, though you should definitely keep them watered, probably daily, in summer.)You could also try the sasanqua camellias. They will take alot (ALOT) of sun (heat) even here in east central Mississippi, but also do well on the north side of my house. I love them. Shishigashira is lovely (rose: low and spreading), as is Snow on the Mountain (white: mounding to about 4 feet. Very dark green foliage.), and Yuletide(red with yellow center: upright, relatively fast growing).

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 11:15PM
chloeasha

We're likely leaving the country is 4 years or so.. is it worth it to get a camellia or will they be too slow-growing? Also curious as to what size pot your carex arrangement is in. Thanks!

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 10:48AM
More Discussions
How to care for new sod - Hibernation
Hello, As of this second, I have a team of people putting...
thom71gt
I had frost?
I'm in upstate SC, I had frost this morning in several...
plantnut65
Beautiful Ideas for Oak Savanna
Anyone have any ideas of things to add to an Oak Savanna...
Savannagirl
Rooting Lantana?
I've had success rooting many things, but not sure...
msjacki
Identifying Mushrooms On Oak Log
We have some creamy colored disc type mushrooms growing...
Savannagirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™