Rescued, damaged Saguaro. Help me help it.

philodiceJune 10, 2007

I just rescued a Saguaro on it's way to the landfill, thinned off somebody's construction site. It was brutally root-hacked, wrapped in plastic and dragged to it's new home. (not my fault) It suffered abrasions, thorn loss, and root loss. It is about 6ft tall. The cactus was in a group of other much larger cacti that shaded it almost constantly. After I realized the huge difference in sun exposure to the poor giant, I panicked and put a dress and hat on the cactus.

What should I do to the damaged areas? There is dirt embedded in my cactus where some of it's flesh rubbed off. If he makes it, I'll call him old scarface. He's not pretty anymore but he's too young to die. How long should he wear the dress?

Included in the link to my photo album are the injured Saguaro along with some other rescues I'm working on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saguaro in a Dress.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sazlife(the dry end of 9)

I hope that it was planted in the same orientation that it was in. North side to the north, south to the south. You may want to contact the Tucson Cactus and Succulent Society. http://www.tucsoncactus.org/

Here is a link that might be useful: Community Gardens of Tucson

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 5:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
philodice

I believe it was oriented properly, can't be sure. And I've tried contacting the TCSS but they haven't approved my forum joining request.

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
Can you identify this worm thing?
Cross posting, to reach as many as possible who might...
ernie85017
help..summer coming too fast
This is a strange problem. This winter has been so...
katied55791
the African daizies look great after all that rain last fall
This is the first year there has been something in...
sculptress
Want to replace lawn with xeriscape, need advice
Hi All, I posted something similar in lawn care but...
andrewm2211
when to start
Hi, When are folks starting some seeds indoors? What...
rvsunn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™