Plea for cuttings, etc. for barren yard!

Erylyn(8A Washington)June 4, 2011

Help, again...

I have moved to Colorado (northern front range), have lots of sandy soil, little water (conservation laws & rightly so!) and, being a landscape designer (retired), I've decided to xeriscape the lot, minus the veg. garden.

I have no local sources for xeriscaping plants: garden centres are quite a drive away, and my neighbours either use in-ground sprinklers or they cover their yards with rocks. I'd like to start a small trend in our little town of using plants - as well as rocks!)- to check the soil erosion problem and attract a bit of wildlife. I haven't even seen a butterfly. Just a few stray Mourning Doves.

But to get back to my plea with all of you, is there anyway I can pay for, trade for, send postage for, etc. divisions or cuttings of: sedums, sempervivums, thymes, lavenders, artemisias, even shrub willows, and desert shrubs/wild plants??

Thanks for listening!

Erylyn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

Move it on down.

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 6:23PM
chaparralgirl(Sonoran Desert (CA))

Will jade (Crassula ovata) grow outdoors where you live without getting sunburned or frostbitten? I have more than I know what to do with.

How about aeoniums?

I have some graptoveria and graptopetalum that seem to respond well to cutting propagation - if it'll grow and thrive out there, I can get a few started for you.

We seem to have a good deal of silverleaf nightshade growing wild out here. I think it's quite pretty, and some like to use it in xeriscaping, but I recently read that it's considered a noxious weed. I could try to gather some for you, but I'd highly recommend reading up on it so you can decide if you really want to add it to your yard.

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 5:33AM
beth_b_kodiak(zone 5a)

Erylyn, you may be able to do a few swaps over on the plant swap forum but your zone 5 cold temps would kill off most anything I am growing here.
Good luck
BB

Bookmark   October 12, 2011 at 8:28AM
More Discussions
West Texas Grape Tomato Hybrids/Varieties?
I moved to the Amarillo area a little over 2 years...
Breeder_Ben
Can you identify this worm thing?
Cross posting, to reach as many as possible who might...
ernie85017
Growing yucca from seed
I'm not sure where to post this--someone will probably...
cocomo49
Want to replace lawn with xeriscape, need advice
Hi All, I posted something similar in lawn care but...
andrewm2211
Animal eating lemon peels
Hi, I just found this forum and want to know what animal...
hammerhugger
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™