Anybody else growing Alstoemeria psittacina?

Nigella(9a-steamy)December 16, 2005

I have had these parrot lilies for a long time and have very much enjoyed them. I've noticed that the foliage I see in pictures doesn't have the streaky yellow variegation that mine have. I'm wondering if this is normal or if there's something weird about mine. They seem healthy enough.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
serenoa(z8b, FL)

Is the foliage marked this way throughout the year? If it is, this may be a virus. It is difficult to test for viruses but your county extention agent could have pathologists at the University of Florida look at it. If it turns out to be a virus, there is a good chance that it is specific to alstroemeria and will not affect other plants in your garden. Just to be sure, it will be best if you do not trim this plant and then use the clippers or knife on other plants, especially other alstroemerias. The parrot lily is so vigorous that it may continue to thrive in your garden with a virus. Personally, I would grub it out, put all of the pieces in a trash bag, and start fresh just to make sure the disease doesn't spread.

Bookmark   December 17, 2005 at 9:53AM
Nigella(9a-steamy)

Hi, the consensus on the Name That Plant forum is that this is definitely a virus but it's been around so long that if it were going to affect the other plants it would have done so. These plants were among the first things I planted in my garden and I had an almost unlimited source, for free. It would take some real effort to try to dig them all, lol.

Personally I like the streaky variegation, it looks like bursts of fireworks to me, and makes a good winter substitute for flowers.

Bookmark   December 17, 2005 at 3:00PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I like it too, Margaret. That's one of the plants I was warned not to plant when I first got here because it would take over, and if a little virus keeps it under control and isn't affecting other plants I say go with it!

Bookmark   December 20, 2005 at 12:06AM
keiththibodeaux(z9a)

Yes, they do take over, so take advantage of it. I use them as a ground cover in beds that have partial sun. They are an attractive ground cover, but they don't climb, and when they flower it is spectacular.

Bookmark   January 7, 2006 at 10:08PM
Jessiep(9tex.)

That is sold and traded as variegated Alstoemeria here in the gulf coast of Texas.Jessie

Bookmark   January 26, 2006 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
My avocado tree is not doing good
I bought this choquette tree from a nursery in Florida...
xdxproxdx
desert rose
Can anyone tell me how to care for a desert rose? My...
margyrose
privacy screen HELP!
My lovely country/cottage garden style yard and porch...
inbloominalabama
Epsom salt on plants
I heard that Epsom salts are good for plants and vegatables....
angel123
invasion of something on my coleus
I have 18 coleus in pots They have been great but......
optiwench
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™