Why are my white mums turning pink?

mklady(8)December 1, 2006

I have recently purchased 4 very healthy, large WHITE mums for containers outside. Two of them I planted in the center of some maroonish colored mums. I started noticing that the white ones were slowly changing to PINK. I initially thought that the maroon ones might have had something to do with this, but the other two that I purchased from another source have now started to change colors. What's up with this? Is it the acidity of the soil or something like that? And how do I fix it? I wanted the contrast of the white and maroon but now it looks a mess. Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindakimy

I think that is normal, mklady. I have a big white mum in one of my beds. It always starts out yellow and only turns pure white when it is in full bloom. Then it goes through pink and finally to purple (where it is right now) before everything falls off. It made me really nervous the first year but now I kinda enjoy the show.

Bookmark   December 2, 2006 at 7:03PM
buford(7 NE GA)

Do they have pink spots or turning completely pink? Flower color is affected by temperature, and white roses turn pinkish when the weather turns cooler.

Bookmark   December 3, 2006 at 8:41AM
natalie4b(7b GA)

I had the same surprise this fall, too. White turned to pink. It is my "white and red" area of the garden. So, they will have to be moved to another place next year.

Bookmark   December 25, 2006 at 7:57PM
More Discussions
Pandanaceae
Hi there, I was in Rarotonga recently in the tropical...
Basic_Biology
Edgeworthia chrysantha
Hello, I have recently bought and planted a Edgeworthia...
sfcrumley
My avocado tree is not doing good
I bought this choquette tree from a nursery in Florida...
xdxproxdx
HELP with horsetail fern
I think it is Equisetum hyemale. My husband planted...
beagardner
New home landscaping
My husband and I will be moving into our new home next...
Ladyb319
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™