Yuletide Sun Camellia in a 2 ft wide foundation bed?

vp_78June 2, 2012

Greetings all! This is my first time posting in this forum, and I'd appreciate any and all advice and recommendations!

We just moved into a new house (our first house as a matter of fact) and I'm very much a gardening newbie. We had some sort of hedge/vine thing planted in a 2 ft. wide by 4 ft long bed running along the foundation of the front of our house, which we removed when we moved in, and now it's just a bare piece of dirt just waiting for something to be planted into it!

I visited a local nursery, and received two recommendations -- a yuletide sun camellia or an azalea. I really like the idea of the sun camellia, especially since it will put out bright red blooms over the winter, and have lush green leaves in the summer.

But I've found varying info on the size of the camellia, and am wondering if it would grow too big in the space we have for it? The foundation bed gives way to the sidewalk leading from the driveway to our front door, so I need something that won't block that pathway too much.

The space is shaded in the morning, and then receives dappled sunlight in the afternoon. And we live in Southern California, in zone 9b I believe.

If anyone thinks a sun camellia is the wrong plant, I'd love any other suggestions....

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lgteacher(SCal)

From what I've read, it can do well in filtered light. If your concerned about size, you can espalier it. you can find directions if you search "espalier camellias." It involves tying branches against a frame work and pruning branches that stick out perpendicular to the wall.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 10:16AM
More Discussions
Rsidential rock screen
HELP. I have an older home. I live in the high desert...
rodoehoho
Little white worms in my compost
These little guys are spread throughout my organic...
SweetShef
Roses for a small space that can take the heat, zone 7b
Any suggestions? We have room for a couple of new roses, in...
Theresa McHarney
the African daizies look great after all that rain last fall
This is the first year there has been something in...
sculptress
Red rock used for desert landscaping, how hot??
I live in an HOA with lovely natural desert dirt and...
casseybug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™