AnniesGranny - my Crockett book arrived...

brownliMarch 15, 2009

I bought it on Ebay - it's a former library book and even has a plastic protective cover. Funny thing, it's definitely served its purpose over the years - the spine is cracked, the pages are slightly worn...and there are a few missing pages....looks like I've had it for years...now let's hope I garden that way as well! With shipping, it cost about 5 bucks, so I'm pleased enough.

I've only thumbed through it briefly - but wow - the pictures, diagrams, planting charts - this is great. My whole life, not once, have I ever wondered how brussel sprouts grow - but on page 187 - a picture of the prettiest brussel sprout plant - who knew that's how they grow! I'm beginning to feel almost smart. Thanks for the recommendation.

If you have a moment could you briefly share the highlights of what is on pages 85/86 and pages 205/206, 207/208, 209/210. These were - uh, snatched I guess - when the librarian wasn't looking. I'm planting radishes and think page 85 was a continuance of that process. I don't know that our books would even match in page numbers, but any help would be appreciated.

Anyway - thanks again for recommending this book.

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anniesgranny(6b)

Linda, I hope you use and enjoy it as much as I have!

page 85: every one I found was heavily infested with maggots. I checked the records and discovered I had neglected the second application of diazanon. (*note-the author relies heavily on insecticides!)

In spite of the diminishing qualities of the warm weather radishes, I do continue with weekly plantings until about the first of June. Given rich, moist soil, the roots that mature in the summer even as late as early July are still not too hot-tasting.

Rhododendrons......

Page 86: Roses......

Page 205: Q & A

Page 206: The Perennial Border

Pages 207-209: Extensive list of perennials shown in the border plan.

Send me an email with your email address and I'll scan the pages for you.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 11:33PM
More Discussions
SFG drip system
As I ponder building my boxes and irrigation I am considering...
tedeboy
Corn in sfg-how deep do roots need to grow?
My sfg is only 4x4. I plan this season, only using...
growingup
First attempt at squire foot gardening
Hey everyone! I would like to thank this forum for...
citrusweekendwarrior
staining wood for raised beds.
I'm wanting to build a raised bed and first went out...
johnmcd348
Skinny yam harvest
Hi everyone, If anyone can share some wisdom about...
ashita
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™