Worms!!

greenbean08_gw(PNW)March 18, 2009

I was outdoors enjoying the nice weather today, filling one of my new garden beds. I wanted to "seed" the bed with some worms and I reached into one of my older beds to grab a handful of material (and hopefully some worms).

I got a whopper of a handful this time! Check out these babies! From Tales of a Transplanted Gardener From Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

Apparently worms like squash. This is part of a squash (one of several) I buried in the bed in the fall.

This is more like what I was expecting to find in my handful... From Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anniesgranny(6b)

WOW! I'd better start burying squash! I cleaned up some of my beds today, and I did see a few worms (and lots of partially decomposed newspaper from bottom liners and paper pots), but certainly nothing like that! I guess I should go out with a flashlight and see if I have night crawlers.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 11:02PM
engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)

Man! I think i'm gonna bury my squash, too! Well....maybe a couple. Heh.

EG

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 11:44PM
sinfonian(U8b A2 S5 SeaWA)

Makes me wish I hadn't lined my beds with worm stopping landscape fabric. Hehe. Amazing!

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 12:41AM
jbest123(Zone 5 PA)

Amy I suspect that your vegies are going to do great this year. My worms went south for the winter and are just coming back now. I have to shred the pumpkins and squash so it gets distributed through the compost because of the moles.:o(

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 5:23AM
pthomas453

That is impressive greenbean.

A question for you, do you have any weed fabric on the underside of your bed?

I am planning on making my first SFG beds shortly and was planning on putting fabric down to keep the grass out but wont this keep the worms out as well?

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 8:12PM
greenbean08_gw(PNW)

It's funny, I don't think I've ever been so happy to see worms as I've been with this garden! I've always tried not to kill them and I knew they were good but I think I have learned so much more about soil life this past year, I have a greater appreciation for the little guys.

I don't have fabric under my beds. I'm actually removing the landscape fabric from under the mulch in my paths too. I've recently found a lot of worms that seem to be wound up in the fibers. I want them to be able to move freely throughout the area.

Last year, I put a thin paper layer (I didn't have much newspaper at the time) under the beds and this year I'm using a thicker paper layer under the new ones because I have it. There was not much growing where I put the garden that needed smothering. I probably could have gotten away with just filling the boxes with nothing underneath.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 11:07PM
pthomas453

No fabric? I have crabgrass in the area where I will plant so I will probably use the fabric. I ordered Mels's book and perhaps he elaborates more on this.

I think I will add worms to the mix.

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 5:46PM
sinfonian(U8b A2 S5 SeaWA)

I don't know why but I added worms to my mels mix and most if not all died. Maybe it was the worms, but I haven't tried again to add them. And with my fabric and gravel lining, none are getting in on their own.

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 8:31PM
greenbean08_gw(PNW)

I can't say for sure, but I would think unless you're dealing with something like Bermuda grass, if you put down a thick layer of newspaper or cardboard, it should smother the grass underneath. You could ask on the soil & compost forum if anyone has experience with crabgrass under their lasagna garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 9:33PM
engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)

I have crabgrass, and the fabric stopped it from entering my garden.

EG

Bookmark   March 21, 2009 at 12:31AM
lawncheney

I used cardboard to put in mine last year, and it stopped the grass from coming up. I had a few persistent buggers that came up, but they were easy to pull out... maybe 5 or 6 per 4x4.

I moved the squares several feet last night to make a 4x8 out of them, and there was no sign of grass or cardboard... just a couple strands of packing tape. I think cardboard is the way to go.

Bookmark   March 21, 2009 at 9:01AM
More Discussions
Onion spacing- 16/sq ft vs. Dixondale recommendation
Dixondale farms suggests 4" between onions, and...
mmqchdygg
Probably A Dumb Question But
My backyard in AZ is entirely gravel/rocks and pavers....
tascer
staining wood for raised beds.
I'm wanting to build a raised bed and first went out...
johnmcd348
Corn in sfg-how deep do roots need to grow?
My sfg is only 4x4. I plan this season, only using...
growingup
Safe insecticide: Olive Oil, Dish Soap, Water
I'm going to try a safe insecticide first before going...
travelsfo
Sponsored Products
Italian Worm Wood/Brass Pedestal Chess Board - 651
$118.96 | Hayneedle
Roots Organics Big Worm Worm Castings - ROBW
$79.99 | Hayneedle
Sergeants Pet Care Products Vetscription Worm-Away Capsules for Cats - 0860-2484
$23.99 | Hayneedle
Ultimate Rosewood/Maple French Staunton Chess Set on Wormwood Table - CB186
$699.99 | Hayneedle
Flowers & Worms Theme Table Lamp for Children's Room
ParrotUncle
Italian Wormwood Game Table with Staunton Walnut Chessmen - CB194
$699.99 | Hayneedle
Decorative Cartoon Worm Wall Night Light for Baby
ParrotUncle
3 Lights Flowers & Worms Theme Flush Mount for Children's Room
ParrotUncle
People viewed this after searching for: