where are the TN gardeners?

Little_Red_Hen(z7TN)December 20, 2005

I didn't see a TN forum; are they here?

I just moved to east TN from FL and am preparing to put in my garden. This hard clay has me a bit intimidated! I'll have a good amount of leaf litter/food compost. I'm assuming I should also work in some manure. What about lime? Should I raise the bed? It's on a slight slope, will get good sun from about 9:30- 3 and filtered light before and after that.

In FL I mulched my bed heavily for weeds. Should I plan on doing that here as well? I figured I could start onions in early spring...end of Feb? When can I start the summer veggies?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ShadyGrove5(z6b TN)

There is a TN forum. I would make you a link, but I'm not that great at it. Do a search on the main GardenWeb page or just click on the state in the alphabetical listing. Lots of East Tn gardeners will be glad to help you out.

Bookmark   December 21, 2005 at 12:01AM
butterflychaser(z7)

Here's a link to the TN forum:

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening in TN

Bookmark   December 24, 2005 at 10:53PM
decolady01(7a/6b AL/TN)

Little Red Hen, welcome to Tennessee. At our farm in Lincoln County the last frost date is around 17 April. If I put out tomato plants before that I nearly always have to cover them some nights.

Bookmark   January 4, 2006 at 1:39PM
greenhollow2(Mid Tn z6 maybe 7)

Hey we do have gardeners in Tn...

That clay is abundant, we put most of our veggies in raised beds. It's a whole lot easier and less water.

Bookmark   January 5, 2006 at 11:19PM
nashvillegardner_06(6b)

Hi, Little Red Hen, and welcome to Tennessee. I use a product called Dakota Peat to amend my nasty clay soil. I also use mushroom compost, a fine-textured mulch called soil conditioner, and whatever else I have on hand, but I think the Dakota peat really helps. You'll probably have to get it somewhere other than Lowe's or Home Depot, but it's definitely worth it. Good luck in your new climate!

Bookmark   January 26, 2006 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
Retail Garden Center Dall./Ft.Worth area??
Hi all. I'm new to this area of the site and I hope...
leelee7
Epsom salt on plants
I heard that Epsom salts are good for plants and vegatables....
angel123
Leland Cypress screen planting?
I want to plant a Leland Cypress privacy screen. There...
wendyb_2007
Edgeworthia chrysantha
Hello, I have recently bought and planted a Edgeworthia...
sfcrumley
Fine garden April issue, no southeast pics
Why not? Steve aitken Why no southeast pics?
josephene_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™