Cold snap

michele_1December 4, 2006

The weather here is unbelievable. Thanksgiving we had 70 degree weather, the next night it went to 27 degrees. The lows are supposed to be below freezing all week long.

I just bought some fairly large Nellie R. Stevens holly. They are still in their containers, ground is still not ready to plant them. Should get them in the ground in the next three or four days.

I've got them sheltered in a nook up against the brick of the house on the back patio, watered down good, with black plastic and sheets drapped over them. Will these plants be damaged by these below freezing temperatures??

I would really appreciate an answer to this, because I am worried about it. Plants like these are not cheap, and I have many more to buy (this spring) to finish planting this hedge.

Would love to know if my hollies will be all right!

Thanks so much,

Michele

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
razorback33(z7)

They are hardy to temperatures as low as -10F(-23C),in ground. In a pot, it should survive to 0F(-18C) without any problem. I've encountered 27F temperatures while at Disney World and they were only protecting their citrus groves in that area. Nellie R is a hybrid, but it comes from cold hardy stock.
Rb

Bookmark   December 4, 2006 at 8:52PM
michele_1

Thanks for the good news! Michele happy holidays

Bookmark   December 5, 2006 at 10:14AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

For the future, put the sheets over the plants first....then black plastic if you must. Better to leave the plastic off. Organic coverings are the way to go when protecting your plants from cold damage.

But, as Razorback said, your Nellies are quite cold hardy.

Bookmark   December 5, 2006 at 3:56PM
More Discussions
invasion of something on my coleus
I have 18 coleus in pots They have been great but......
optiwench
Fine garden April issue, no southeast pics
Why not? Steve aitken Why no southeast pics?
josephene_gw
Epsom salt on plants
I heard that Epsom salts are good for plants and vegatables....
angel123
Retail Garden Center Dall./Ft.Worth area??
Hi all. I'm new to this area of the site and I hope...
leelee7
New home landscaping
My husband and I will be moving into our new home next...
Ladyb319
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™