Can I grow anything edible here?

gray53(8a GA metro Atlanta)December 31, 2011

I've got a 3 foot by 16 foot raised bed. It's only 4 or 5 inches high, which limits me to shallow-rooting crops. I won't be using any fertilizer, only compost and a green manure. It is located on the west side of a house and surrounded by trees, so no morning sun and only dapled afternoon sun. Is there anything edible I can grow on it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianagal(z7bMS)

I am thinking you could grow lettuces, the leaf lettuces and like what is called mesclun mix. Probably radishes, brussel sprouts. I am thinking things that are somewhat small and cool season.

Bookmark   December 31, 2011 at 11:15PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I agree with LA girl, and it would be worth trying greens like collards, kale, mustard, etc. But it's probably too late to plant them now. You could try for an early spring crop, planting say in late February or early March.

Any chance you could limb up some trees to allow more afternoon sun in? Most vegetables need six hours of direct sunlight a day, but in summer, they like that western sun to be a BIT dappled. If worst comes to worse, there are many beautiful shade plants that would do well: ferns, farfugiums, hellebores, purple oxalis, gingers, and more.

As far as the depth of the beds, you could dig down into the soil in the bottom, loosen and amend it. That's what I did to my raised beds. It takes a good bit of work, but it's totally worth it.

Bookmark   January 2, 2012 at 9:56PM
JimR36(5b CO)

I've gotten by with only 3 or 4" high raised bed. It also does not receive a huge amount of sun (mostly some afternoon). But it still has managed to grow and produce kale, zucchini, radishes, basil, and rosemary without any problems. I use organic soil, compost, and mulch. Maybe 70% soil, 20% compost, and 10% mulch.

I think you can be successful with yours, assuming there's enough "soil", and not just the "additives" (compost and manure).

Bookmark   January 9, 2012 at 3:20PM
KatyaKatya(6)

I have little space and very little sun at all in spite of being on a southern slope - not a good situation. But, strange as it sounds, I am sure you can grow tomatoes and peppers, of course with lower yields than in full sun, if you put in nice robust plants. I do.

Bookmark   January 16, 2012 at 12:33PM
notascrename

I'd grow ginseng, sounds like you have the right spot. If surrounded by hardwoods even better.Dappled sunlight is the key and the leaf litter helps.Ginseng growing can be very satisfying. in many ways. Jim

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 4:21PM
topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)

What do you do with ginseng? My old veggie garden has gotten way to shady. I am trying a new spot, but wondering what to do with the old one...giant mulberries, maples, pecans, oaks. Read about truffles, but too complicated.

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 2:20AM
More Discussions
Leland Cypress screen planting?
I want to plant a Leland Cypress privacy screen. There...
wendyb_2007
Crepe Myrtle in the ICU
Hi folks, This crepe myrtle came from the builder when...
rwiki
Epsom salt on plants
I heard that Epsom salts are good for plants and vegatables....
angel123
privacy screen HELP!
My lovely country/cottage garden style yard and porch...
inbloominalabama
Edgeworthia chrysantha
Hello, I have recently bought and planted a Edgeworthia...
sfcrumley
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™