Stawberry Tree- Arbutus question

chrisnsdJune 8, 2008

Does anyone know how deep an arbutus marina will grow roots in the first 7 or so years? I have a circular planter I want to put one, but there is drainage line about 3-4' directly below the ground level of the planter. Will they go that deep? is there something I can line the bottom with to prevent root invasion?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

Roots will grow to the best water supply available, so your drainage line is a prime target if it has relatively constant flow of water. If you restrict root growth you limit the total plant growth and health. So you be the judge.

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 10:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
inkneedeep

I just planted one Saturday and although I cannot directly answer your question, I am wondering how large your planter is. I am under the understanding that the Arbutus marina gets anywhere from 25-30 feet tall, although I have gotten alot of conflicting info.

Some other things I learned in my research:
The roots do not like being disturbed. so if you are planting other things with it... I am guessing they should be long term plants.
Water deeply to establish and develop DEEP root system (I am thinking you would not want to restrict)
Arbutus Unedo is a smaller tree, but I think it has dif. bark.

In relation to what petzold said...In my community, they require (2) trees to be planted in every front yard. Our previous owners went overboard and planted alot of trees. We have had alot of problems with tree roots in the main line and have had to have it routed out about 1x per year. The plumbers say it is a common problem in our community because of the tree requirement.

Bookmark   June 9, 2008 at 8:47AM
More Discussions
Myoporum Parvifolium
Help me please! I am new to this! I live in Southern...
kinkers
Red rock used for desert landscaping, how hot??
I live in an HOA with lovely natural desert dirt and...
casseybug
help..summer coming too fast
This is a strange problem. This winter has been so...
katied55791
I am new users here
I am new here. And i have a website about dell drivers...
jerfrank
Growing yucca from seed
I'm not sure where to post this--someone will probably...
cocomo49
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™