Sweet Broom

kverzani(z9 NV)June 23, 2003

I have (had) a beautiful sweet broom plant, growing contently in it's place. We have a new yard and have been planting and creating our rose beds. This sweet broom is part of this bed. We recently mulched...mainly for the roses. Got up one morning and my sweet broom was "deader than a donut". Dry and brittle. I read that they don't require an intense amount of water...which we hadn't been doing. The only thing different was the mulch. Does anyone know what could have happened?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
proper_gait(8b)

What kind of mulch? Mulches that are made out of cypress or cedar are highly acidic if they are not given ample oppurtunity to leech out awhile before being used. I had a nice sized peach tree that suffered the same fate after a fresh application of mulch that I purchased from a regular source.

Bookmark   June 26, 2003 at 10:33AM
foobosh(7)

I have planted sweet broom.....and they done well...then they just up and died overnight...I have no idea why....I've planted with and without mulch....I tend to believe that they can't get dry.....I work at the garden dept. at walmart....we had a bunch of them this spring....all of a sudden they just up and died.....????????????

Bookmark   July 10, 2004 at 11:37AM
jamaddox

About one week ago i planted my first sweet broom and curious on how much and how often i should be watering it right now since just planted, yesterday the new blooms and leaves looked wilted so i did water it but just nervous on how much and how often

Bookmark   March 30, 2006 at 9:26AM
smitty61

I just discovered that my two sweet brooms are infested with black, iridescent caterpillars. I cut off the dead/dying segments and lightly washed the remaining. I won't tell you what I did with some of the critters. Now I need a pesticide to control/eradicate them.

Bookmark   August 30, 2007 at 10:28PM
lorna-organic

I water my Spanish broom almost daily during the heat of summer. I water it once a week during winter. I planted it four years ago. So far, so good... It gets some brown areas here and there, but it has grown 5' tall and about 3' wide. This year was the first time ir really put out a lot of flowers. They have a wonderful scent!

Bookmark   September 4, 2007 at 3:52PM
mkayrnc

my sweet brooms are 2 yrs old now, when should i prune it?

Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 8:48PM
lorna-organic

I think broom is pruned in spring. I haven't pruned mine yet, but it needs it.

Bookmark   September 24, 2007 at 7:29PM
mfosterca_hotmail_com

Does the Sweet Broom reseed itself and spread or become invasive?

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 12:56PM
teachertort_verizon_net

I have 2 sweet brooms that I planted 10 years ago. The big one is almost 8 feet tall and both give an extremely showy bloom in the spring. When I first planted them I watered once a week. Now I water my small one twice in the summer and the big one not at all and I live in the desert southwest. They are extremely hardy once established and will crawl into other areas of your landscape if you let them. Some areas around me have banned them for this reason as being invasive non-native plants.

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
Please HELP tree selection and questions?
Hi everyone! I am so excited to finally start my gardening...
black-thumbs
Anyone had those low litter trees near swimming pool?
I am looking for a evergreen tree to plant near a swimming...
monkeyta123
West Texas Grape Tomato Hybrids/Varieties?
I moved to the Amarillo area a little over 2 years...
Breeder_Ben
Growing yucca from seed
I'm not sure where to post this--someone will probably...
cocomo49
Want to replace lawn with xeriscape, need advice
Hi All, I posted something similar in lawn care but...
andrewm2211
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™