bed

blue72March 23, 2011

i have a (8' by 4') bed i want to plant corn,red onions, watermelon. i live in detroit.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bsntech(5b)

OK - not too sure what you are asking here?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Blog

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 9:11PM
eaglesgarden(6b - se PA)

That is not a lot of space to grow all that.

The corn is going to require at least 4'x4', although for best results, you will want to use the whole 4'x8' for corn.

You could conceivably plant watermelon on the perimeter, and wrap them around the base of the corn plants, but that won't really leave any space for the onions.

The other option is to orient the bed East-West. Plant the corn on the EAST side of the bed in a 4' x 4' block (this could be expanded to 4'x5' or 4'x6' for better results.) Plant the watermelon on the WEST half along the NORTH side on a trellis. Train the watermelon to grow vertically up the trellis. Give them at least a foot of ground space per plant. In the remaining space, plant the onions.

Most people will tell you though, that there really isn't enough space for all of that in a 4' x 8'. Corn is a GIANT space hog. I gave up on it a few years back, because the space it takes up just isn't worth the yield that I get. I'd much rather buy my corn at the local farmer's market and grow more tomatoes, squash, and other high yield plants in its place. (But I have a very small garden in a very small suburban backyard.

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 2:29PM
sinfonian(U8b A2 S5 SeaWA)

I too gave up on corn, but you could plant the back 4x4 with corn, the vining plants around the edge of the front 4x4 with the rest in the middle. It could work, but I'd worry that the vining crops would block the sun for the onions. GL and take pics so we can see how it turs out!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure!

Bookmark   March 31, 2011 at 10:59PM
More Discussions
What should I use to fill my raised beds?
I'm going to be making some raised beds in my backyard...
hazeldazel
Safe insecticide: Olive Oil, Dish Soap, Water
I'm going to try a safe insecticide first before going...
travelsfo
I'd like to try SFG like this....(see pic)
I'd like to try SFG in a 55 gallon drum like the one...
farmless_barn
Skinny yam harvest
Hi everyone, If anyone can share some wisdom about...
ashita
Looking for bloggers
I am looking for folk interested in writing about square...
Andrew_Green
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™