To those who know their local frost dates...

farmerjudeJuly 14, 2009

I have just finished up a web application for looking up your local frost dates based on the National Climatic Data Center's freeze/frost data. I have checked out everything for my area and it looks good to me.

To those of you who generally know the frost dates for your area, would you give my "Frost Date Finder" a go and see if it checks out for where you are?

Here's the link:

http://www.moongardencalendar.com/mgc/index.cfm/apps/frostdates

Thanks so much for your help!

-Jude

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

YOU DID AN ALL-FULL LOT OF WORK FOR WHICH YOU SHOULD BE COMMENDED. ALTHOUGH THE DATA YOU SITE IS CORRECT, THE SITES USED ARE 2O SOME MILES FOR MY HOME AND AT A MUCH HIHGER ELEVATION. THE STATION SITED IS ON A HIGH OPEN MESA WHICH IS SUBJECT TO WIDER TEMPERATURE VARIATION THAN AT MY HOME. FOR THIS REASON THE DATA USED DOES NOT TAKE IN TO ACCOUNT THE MANY MICROCLIMATES IN THIS AREA.

I FIND THE DATA AVAILABLE AT 'INTELLICAST. COM' IS MUCH MORE ACCURATE ALONG WITH MY OWN RECORDS.

I HOPE THIS WILL BE HELPFUL. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR WORK.

Bookmark   July 14, 2009 at 10:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerjude

Thanks so much for the feedback and the props. I will be adding a Page FAQ at some point soon, and I will make a mention to call your local Extension office for better info about your specific location. And I will also include some info on micro-climates.

And thanks for the link, too. I hadn't come across intellicast before. Tomorrow I will dig in and see if they offer a web service I can use on the calendar for user-specific forecasts :D

-Jude

Bookmark   July 14, 2009 at 11:46PM
More Discussions
Want to replace lawn with xeriscape, need advice
Hi All, I posted something similar in lawn care but...
andrewm2211
help..summer coming too fast
This is a strange problem. This winter has been so...
katied55791
Anyone out there have a joshua tree?
I have been trying to find some information on joshua...
kazooie
Please HELP tree selection and questions?
Hi everyone! I am so excited to finally start my gardening...
black-thumbs
Anyone had those low litter trees near swimming pool?
I am looking for a evergreen tree to plant near a swimming...
monkeyta123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™