Avacodo dropping its Leaves

mismollyFebruary 12, 2003

I have a 5' avacado plant and it was doing fabulous!! it started to drop its leaves at a very fast rate now there is only 3 left. What should I do??? Can it be propogated or should i cross my fingers and hope that it will come back.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trudi_d

Did the leaves turn yellow before they dropped? If so it could indicate that the plant was getting too much water. The soil can dry out a bit before it is rewatered.

You can change the soil and repot the tree if you like, and then place it in a sunny window. Water with a weak fertilizer and you should shortly see new growth once it adjusts to the new soil.

Good luck with your avocado.

Trudi

Bookmark   February 13, 2003 at 2:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SouthTexan(Z9 S. Texas)

I have an avacado about 1 year old, four foot high. Transplanted into the garden 4 months ago...took off fine then leaves started burning up on the edges like a torch applied around the edge of leaf, no yellowing...then leaf falls off after a time.
Plant is in full sun, 90-100 degree days, 80-100% humidity on a normal day. You can see huge avacado trees in town here producing fruit, so it is not impossible. Not enough water ???? Is there a mexican variety that perhaps is better suited to south Texas ??? any suggestions.

Bookmark   June 11, 2003 at 12:01AM
More Discussions
sunflower house #2 - 2014
Well, I'm back with the Second Edition of the Sunflower...
samhain10
Science fair project
I am a 5th grader working on a science fair project....
kayla47
Sensory Garden for Baby
Over the winter I had created a mini sensory garden...
ASCL
Sunflower house
I originally posted this on the Garden Experiments...
samhain10
Chemically treated lawn OK for kids play?
My garden was and is lush green all thru the fall and...
saly
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™