Avacado seeds

cncnorman(z7 FW/TX)February 4, 2004

Hi there. I know this topic has been run on and on but I do have a new ?.

I have tried to get three seeds to sprout with my little girls and they are having fun learning about this process. The best seed was sprouted under the kitchen sink wrapped in a moist paper towel in a ziploc baggie. Well, so they could see it I took the seed out and placed it in my rock water fountain so that they could watch it. The seed has split in half and one side has a thickish something coming out of it. (root or stem) Now here is the question part. How do I know if this is the root part or the stem? I mean theoretically I would think that the roots would develop first right? Do ya'll reckon that I should keep the two pieces together as long as possible?

Many thanks -

Christina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shlomiesdad(very hot, very dry)

Roots go down stems go up. It works that way. Let the parts separate on their own. I like to pinch the plant when it has 2 true leaves it then develops into an attractive bush.

Ethan

spelling checked with ieSpell

Bookmark   February 7, 2004 at 7:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cncnorman(z7 FW/TX)

I understood the general principles of root and stem develpments. My problem was that the baggie was laid down on its side so I couldn't tell which was which was developing. Thanks.

Bookmark   March 17, 2004 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
Possible roots?
I opened up this avocado yesterday and it was like...
cynjrana
whoops ! avo seed placed wrong way
Hi this little avo was placed in the water upside down,...
roksee
Can anyone identify this plant???
I think it may be a chinese evergreen. I am obviously...
dragonlilly
teziran
thanks for this description. çÃÂìçÃÂ...
amirnabitabar
Avacado Seeds
I am trying to grow an avacado plant in a glass of...
Daniel Fry - 10 b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™