Grow japanese maples in the southwest?

mucknmire(zone6 NJ)July 17, 2005

Is it possible to successfully grow japanese maples in the southwest? We're thinking about moving to Albuquerque or Las Cruces and would like to grow japanese maples but don't know if anyone has tried growing them there.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adp_abq(7b NM)

You'll be fighting the alkaline soil and the resulting chlorosis that this tree will inevitably get. Maples in general don't do well here. This type of tree apparently is also shallow rooted . Not a good fit.

Click on link for list of recommended trees for the abq. area.

Here is a link that might be useful: albuquerque recommended plant list

Bookmark   July 17, 2005 at 11:45PM
mucknmire(zone6 NJ)

Thanks for the information. I didn't know that the soil was alkaline. Probably too much sun too since jmaples are understory trees. I guess I'll have to grow them as bonsai if I want them. Also thanks for the Albuquerque plant list!

Bookmark   July 19, 2005 at 1:04PM
Crumpet(SW)

Actually they do grow in Albuquerque but in very select locations........sheltered from hot sun, and drying winds. I see them often in courtyards and other protected areas, but not out in the open. And forget the real finely cut leaves or the red colored plants. Not a general all purpose plant, but one that will be OK if you are willing to give it a sheltered location and combat the iron chlorosis that will always be a problem.

Bookmark   July 19, 2005 at 11:13PM
adp_abq(7b NM)

Here's another link that may be helpful. If you like small trees then there are many desert or desert adapted trees to choose from like:

new mexico olive/privet (shrub or tree)
desert willow
redbud
screwbean mesquite
mexican elder
smoketree (purple leaves)

Here is a link that might be useful: another link from nmsu for abq

Bookmark   July 20, 2005 at 9:40AM
mucknmire(zone6 NJ)

Crumpet,
Thanks for the info that you can grow them in a sheltered place. But now I don't know if I want to go through that much trouble to grow them. I guess it's best to grow native plants adapted to the climate/soil conditions rather than trying to grow something from a totally different environment. Pretty trees tho so I may give it a shot if/when we get out there.

adp_abq
Thanks again for the list of small trees. Glad to know the redbud grows there. We have several in our yard here including the dark purple "forest pansy" and we love them. Thanks for the nmsu link.

Bookmark   July 20, 2005 at 10:00PM
adp_abq(7b NM)

mucknmire:

I've lived in both cities (currently in abq) so if you have any questions about them let me know.

Bookmark   July 20, 2005 at 10:52PM
paalexan(NM)

"I guess it's best to grow native plants adapted to the climate/soil conditions rather than trying to grow something from a totally different environment."

It's a whole lot easier, that's for sure. And I figure getting to know the local plants is a good way to quickly gain an understanding of and appreciation for your new home.

Patrick Alexander

Bookmark   July 21, 2005 at 4:13PM
More Discussions
Creosote near Isleta/Albuquerque
Just thought I'd throw this out there. Recently I drove...
cactus_dude
Myoporum Parvifolium
Help me please! I am new to this! I live in Southern...
kinkers
Red rock used for desert landscaping, how hot??
I live in an HOA with lovely natural desert dirt and...
casseybug
Animal eating lemon peels
Hi, I just found this forum and want to know what animal...
hammerhugger
Want to replace lawn with xeriscape, need advice
Hi All, I posted something similar in lawn care but...
andrewm2211
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™